wall socket replacements

Sponsored Links
I would bet you're wiring is singles in conduit which will be the earth connection to the socket via the plate screws! ... You may have to connect an earth to the back box.

which will typically be a 2 BA bolt and if it was done by the people who wired my flat they oriented the boxes so the earthing bolt hole was cramped under the incoming cables and requires tweezers to retrofit.

Will post pic today once i ve taken plate off. Opting for coverta but earthing and horizontal fixing is still murky. Tnx

I am not sure but you may be able to use grid switch sockets and turn the unit 90 degrees in the plate? I don't have one to try it with but I used the LAP grid switch sockets and from memory you could click them in facing the other way.
Plate
Socket

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Never used the socket modules, but the frames only have the mounting lip top and bottom, so may not work rotated 90 degrees

Pls see pic. Only two wires. No earth. Horizontal holes r present. Will coverta be ok? Tnx

Attachments

• 20150817_123726.jpg
    20150817_123726.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 225
If you're lucky, the wires run in metal conduit and that provides an earth. This is not good enough as it connects from the back box to the socket through the screws, but it's better than nothing.

If you're unlucky, you have no earth at all.

Stop worrying about upgrading to double sockets etc. You have more serious issues to fix first! You should probably get an electrician in to do a full condition report. Failing that, at least get yourself a socket tester and see how many of your sockets have no earth.

Keep the disused lugs and, using an M3.5 screw and washers, securely attach an earth flylead to one of them.

Use that to connect to the earth terminal of the new socket.

And to what extent are you happy to guarantee that the integrity of the cpc is still OK?

Keep the disused lugs and, using an M3.5 screw and washers, securely attach an earth flylead to one of them.

Use that to connect to the earth terminal of the new socket.

If they are that old you need 4BA screws not M3.5. M3.5 will be too sloppy for a reliable connection.

M3.5 is slightly larger than 4BA so the lug can be rethreaded to accept a metric screw.

Have you ever rethreaded a 4BA lug to M3.5? It works every single time, so yet again what you've posted is wrong. I used to enjoy ridiculing you but now it's become a chore having to correct virtually every piece of advice you post.

Have you ever rethreaded a 4BA lug to M3.5? It works every single time, so yet again what you've posted is wrong. I used to enjoy ridiculing you but now it's become a chore having to correct virtually every piece of advice you post.

But my post is not wrong. You clearly said m3.5 is slightly bigger than 4BA, and I have provided a link showing YOU are wrong. Do you not believe that 3.6 is bigger than 3.5?

I have not tried to re thread a large thread to a smaller one, that is stupid, but I've done it the other way round though, re threaded. 3.5mm to 4BA.

You can force a 3.5 mm screw in a 4BA thread but it is loose and ill fitting, certainly not good enough for a reliable earth connection.

What's your problem anyway, 4BA screws are not exactly hard to find?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back