Wall starter fixings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought a wall starter kit to build a new internal partitioning wall. The new wall will be built from 100mm blocks. The starter kit needs to be fixed to the inner leaf of one of the exterior walls.

The problem I have is that the inner leaf is built of hollow concrete blocks. The wall starter kit is supplied with 50 mm long coach screws and wall plugs, but the shell of the hollow blocks is only about 20 mm thick, which obviously makes these fixings a lot weaker. The kit was only supplied with 5 screws for a single storey wall, would I be OK if I just buy some extra screws (say 5 more) to compensate? I don't want my new wall collapsing when someone leans too hard on it. Am not really sure what other type of fixing would be better in this case, because the hollow shell itself isn't that strong in tension for example resisting being pulled outwards.

Sponsored Links
Drill the hollow blocks and fill void up with resin. Let that go off, then re-drill the holes and use plugs / coach screws as normal. Or use resin anchors with a sieve.

OK I can see the logic, but it seems...nightmarish. Pumping tens of liters of resin through tiny holes? I will research the sieves you mention.

Is that what pros would do, or would they forget about the wall starter and tooth into the structural wall?

Sponsored Links
Problem is, the instructions for the wall starter kit (yes, these were included) specifically forbid drilling into the mortar joints.

Problem is, the instructions for the wall starter kit (yes, these were included) specifically forbid drilling into the mortar joints.
Ignore the instructions. They don't legislate for crap masonry. Go deeper and use a 100mm (6) screw. Forget about the other posters and resin.

You can't always go by instructions. Bluebird ties go into the joints. It's where you can get the best fix. Years ago a couple of cut nails would be knocked into each joint for a tie.

Maybe it was weeks ago. My memory isn't what it used to be, from what I can remember.

Well I purchased some extra bolts and used both methods, 100mm into the mortar joists and the original ones into the blocks I will let you know if it falls down lol.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back