Wall Starter kit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am having a rear extension done and being a bit of novice, don't know much about building works. The walls are starting to go up and I noticed the brick guys used wall starter kit only on the outer leaf and didn't use it on the inner leaf (blocks) . Is this acceptable? or should I ask them to remove a few blocks where the wall joins and use starter kit?

Sponsored Links
Oh dear. That's £20 and 10 minutes they've saved. Watch out for any other efficiencies. :cautious:

Sponsored Links
Oh dear. That's £20 and 10 minutes they've saved. Watch out for any other efficiencies. :cautious:
I agree. It costs very little to do both leaves once the drill and impact driver are set up. My oppo loves fitting them.

Doesn't bode well.

Don't know why they do silly things like this if its only 10 mins to do it properly..is this work i.e. tying new walls to existing checked by BCO? Should i raise it to him if they give me excuses?

Don't know why they do silly things like this if its only 10 mins to do it properly..is this work i.e. tying new walls to existing checked by BCO? Should i raise it to him if they give me excuses?
Do you have any plans? What do the plans specify? If the builder has quoted based on the plans, then at the minimum you can expect work must be as specified. Any deviation from the quoted work (ie the specification) should be only with your prior notice and agreement.

The inspector wont inspect for these ties

Yes i do have plans and this is what they say about walls "WALL CONNECTOR-NEW WALL CONNECTED TO EXISTING WALL WITH 'FURFIX' STEEL CONNECTOR OR SIMILAR. POLYSULPHIDE SEALANT POINTING TO EXTERNAL JOINTS. - INTERNAL LIGHT WIEGHT BLOCKWORK PARTITIONS TO BE PLASTERED."

I will ask him to take out a couple of blocks from the wall and insert the starter kit. For my information, what are the implications of this not been done on inner leaf? Will inner wall have cracks?

Pull wall over when builders leave. Plead ignorance and wonder if it was tied in properly as you all look at pile of blocks in the morning.

Why £20, I’ve been paying £10 from screwfix and now I’m about nine sets deep I’m furious I’ve just seen the same ones go for £50 for ten, brand new on eBay

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back