Walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there i have had to lower the height of my garage walls which are made of breeze blocks due to planning. It does not have a roof and we have not yet painted it with masonary paint, my builders started taking off the bricks using a bolster and hammer but it seemed to come off so easily sometimes he didn't even use the bolster and just hit it and it came off. i asked why it comes off so easily he said becoz its been raining and the top layer is gone soft, is this true and should it be so easy or is my mortar crap and weakly joint with the bricks oh and it rained 3 days in a row. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The continued presence of water will actually increase the adhesion betwixt mortar and masonry, eventually. Provided of course that the mortar has not been washed away!

They would be more likely to be easily lifted if the mortar had dried out very quickly.

However, the uppermost courses of any recently laid blocks will be fairly easy to remove.

Ok sorry i think i used the wrong words, should my top course of blocks come off so easily do you think the concrete is a weak mix? and is there any mix or solution i can apply to the joining bits of the blocks to make it tuffer. ps remember my walls are already built. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Have you really used concrete between the blocks? :eek:

Anyway, mortar for blockwork should be relatively weak or else it cracks with the slightest bit of natural movement or expansion.

If the exterior is fair faced blockwork and not covered, then you should have ironed the joints to give them weathering protection. Otherwise don't worry about the blocks coming off easy - that is what they do

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back