Wallstar Boiler refuses to switch off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

On Friday 3 Feb my Wallstar Boiler was serviced.

Later in the early hours of Saturday morning I heard that the boiler was on at a time when it is not normally programmed to fire up. I fell asleep and next day the boiler was on early as expected.

On returning home later on Saturday afternoon I noticed that the boiler was running even though it was not programmed to be on. I checked the Danfloss thermostatic TP9 Thermostatic Contol and neither of the red lights were illuminated - when lit these signify that water and or heating has been called for. Strangely the boiler was still running.

At this point I noticed water pouring outside from an overflow pipe in the loft. I switched off the boiler and investigated both the boiler and the leak from the overflow.

First I found the test switch in the service panel of the boiler had been left in the on position rather than the programme mode which explained why the boiler continued to fire up when it was not expected to.

Second the water tank in the loft was hot and full and I suspect that the heat exchanger pipe in the Albion Mainsflow cylinder has broken. I emptied the tank and tied the ball cock in the off position but hot water continued to dribble in to the tank from a pipe which leads from the cylinder which is sited below in the airing cupboard. I know from previous bitter experience that this may mean a new and expensive replacement cylinder.

My question is could this damage to the cylinder have been caused by the oversight of leaving the boiler permanently switched on in test mode or is this just a bizarre case of coincidence?

I will be telephoning HRM the makers of Wallstar later today to get their advice but any help or views from any knowledgeable experts on this site will be much appreciated.

Thankyou.

Sponsored Links
I would say coincidence. The test switch will not over-ride the boiler thermostat, and the zone valve on the cylinder would have closed once it was up to the stat temperature.

The Albion is renowned for heat exchange coil failure causing the store to overflow

just co-incidence remember leaving the test switch on is no diffrent to setting your programmer to constant - the system should handle the situation with ease

Albion are carp!! ;)

Thanks for the responses; much appreciated. I was starting to think that there should be some safeguard.

As for Albion I must admit the cylinder hasn't been the best. It is the second one after the first was replaced under warranty.

I've just been quoted for a replacement cylinder which is an Albion Duplex Stainless Steel version. I assume these are better given the 25 year guarantee but I've asked for a price on Santon stainless version too.
Many thanks again.

Sponsored Links
AND the 25 year warranty is conditional on you being able to produce a ligitimate Service reciept from a G.3 registered engineer for each year the tank has been installed - no service history no warranty

The Stainless Steel vessels are the way to go IMHO

we have a site that at 5 years old is now on it's third Albion!! :eek:

could it be the expansion pipe isnt high enough and the heat exspansion of the water is pumping over, quick solution is turn pump speed down,

Talking of 'Sludge Buckets', what ever happened to Water Systems aka Dr Drivel, Big Burner etc etc???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back