Want to change my old Honeywell thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I wonder if anybody can help me please. I want to change my old Honeywell dial thermostat to something a bit more modern maybe a digtal one

I have a few questions I would like to ask

The old thermostat has three wires going into it Brown, Blue, Green/Yellow.

Do all thermostats have just 3 wires going into them and you just change it like a plug.

I don't know if this help to identify the old thermostat I have now. there is a number on it 156081047 82 25

Thank you
Nik

Sponsored Links
Nik

I have a Drayton wireless thermostat which has the same three wires going into it and then three going on to the boiler, i looked at the wiring diagram in the box prior to purchase, this was what made the decision to purhase for me, and ive had no probs.

hope this helps

Hi

How does the wireless work? I have never heard of it before

Thanks
Nik

Nik

There are two units a sender and receiver.
The receiver would just sit where your old thermostat is and the sender is battery operated and can sit anywhere, hallway landing etc, and they talk to each other in a wireless way, bit like your wifi on the computer

Sponsored Links
Ah right. I would rather stick to the one box on the wall type

Nik

Most battery operated room stats require only 2 wires (no neutral required)
Look at Drayton Digistat+ or Honeywell dt90e room stat among others. These are not programmable stats, just a digital version of your old room stat. Simple 2 wire install, and use 2 AA batteries.

Hi

How does the wireless work? I have never heard of it before

Thanks
Nik

Wireless Thermostats, are excellent for both the installer and the homeowner.

The installer benefits from quicker installation time, less or no floorboards to lift, etc.

The homeowner benefits from little damage to existing decor and certain models you can take off the wall and take it upstairs or in the living room if you want (take into account that these rooms may be TRV controlled)

Battery life can be 1-2 depending on use, so is pretty much low maintenance.

I love them, and for them where I can, they are as I'm sure you know quite pricey

Hi

thanks for the advice. I should have mentioned I live in a top floor flat with all the rooms close together and the hallway not being very large.

Nik

Can you post a close-up pic of your stat, with the cover removed?

Hi

I wonder if anybody can help me please. I want to change my old Honeywell dial thermostat to something a bit more modern maybe a digtal one

I have a few questions I would like to ask

The old thermostat has three wires going into it Brown, Blue, Green/Yellow.

Do all thermostats have just 3 wires going into them and you just change it like a plug.

I don't know if this help to identify the old thermostat I have now. there is a number on it 156081047 82 25

Thank you
Nik

Brown is live, Blue is normally use for switched live (and should be sleeved brown to indicate a live conductor) Green / Yellow is the earth.

Some thermostats require a neutral to work, this is called a 3 wire stat (live, neutral and swtiched live).

Hope this helps friend.

Brown is live, Blue is normally use for switched live (and should be sleeved brown to indicate a live conductor) Green / Yellow is the earth.
You are making potentially dangerous assumptions!

Brown could be live or switched live
Blue could be switched live or neutral
Green/Yellow could be earth or switched live

That's why I asked for a pic! (hint ;) )

You are making potentially dangerous assumptions!

Brown could be live or switched live
Blue could be switched live or neutral
Green/Yellow could be earth or switched live

That's why I asked for a pic! (hint ;) )

I make no assumptions I used the word normally and i also pointed out the brown sleeved conductor which would indicate a switched live.

A R1+R2 test would confirm polarity.

I make no assumptions I used the word normally and i also pointed out the brown sleeved conductor which would indicate a switched live.
Now you are assuming that every installer sleeves a conductor to indicate what it is used for.

You are also forgetting that many thermostats do not have an earth terminal but do have a neutral terminal, so many cheapskate installers use the earth wire as the switched live.

All too often Dave, in fact if you see an earth connected in a stat you can nearly bet it's used as a phase wire.

One certainly shouldn't assume anything.

Now you are assuming that every installer sleeves a conductor to indicate what it is used for.

You are also forgetting that many thermostats do not have an earth terminal but do have a neutral terminal, so many cheapskate installers use the earth wire as the switched live.

That is against BS7671 17th editin regualtions (which I am also qualified in ), seriously you are right, i have heard about people doing this, and the reg is there that says the CPC (circuit Protective Conductor) is NOT to be used as a live conducor, the human race never ceases to amaze us ey?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back