Want to replace 12v halogen with 240v LED

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I currently have about 25 dimmable 12v Halogen bulbs in the house, and Im getting fed up of having to constanstly change bulbs and burnt out transformers.

How hard would it be for me to get rid of the transformers and wire in 240v led bulbs? I need to add that they need to be dimmable.

Would I have to alter the size of the holes in the ceiling? Would the 240v led's be suitable in a bathroom?

What kind of cost would I be looking at for an electrician to carry out the works? (I live in Herts, North London)

Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
It's a case of pulling the fitting out to where the transformer gets its 230v, disconnecting that and adding it to a new fitting.

You can get fittings to match your holesize and they can be dimmable.

If there's one transformer (some people will moan about the use of this word but we both know what we're referring to) per light it's much simpler assuming the 230v feed can be pulled to each hole. If there's one transformer for a bank of lights, it's more work.

If you're competent enough to change transformers then it's something you can do yourself assuming you're happy to do so.

230v is fine in the bathroom, you may need IP rated fittings if you have a low ceiling or fittings above the shower. I find for the price difference it's better to just fit IP in the entire bathroom for peace of mind. It can get steamy in the whole room when women are in the shower for so frickin long

Thanks for the reply. I have a transformer for each spotlight so Im guessing its something I can do myself.

Any recommendations for good fittings / bulbs?

I would go for separate fittings and GU10 LED lamps - it's a nice option to have when they fail and you don't have to change the whole fitting.

The fitting is really going to depend on your holesize, if you pop one down and measure the whole I'm sure we can find you something that you don't need to enlarge the hole for.

As for lamps, my one and only Rex compensation is the Enlite Ice 5W GU10. Available in dimmable and maybe even available in toolstation (although they might only have the non-dim) £5 a pop ish and we have literally fitted thousands of the things this year alone

Sponsored Links
I would go for separate fittings and GU10 LED lamps - it's a nice option to have when they fail and you don't have to change the whole fitting.

The fitting is really going to depend on your holesize, if you pop one down and measure the whole I'm sure we can find you something that you don't need to enlarge the hole for.

As for lamps, my one and only Rex compensation is the Enlite Ice 5W GU10. Available in dimmable and maybe even available in toolstation (although they might only have the non-dim) £5 a pop ish and we have literally fitted thousands of the things this year alone

Not at home at the moment but Ill do it tomorrow, thanks a lot

Thinking about it, when replacing the transformers, the fittings are a nightmare to get out without damaging the ceiling. Is there anway I can keep the existing fittings? Im guessing I probably cant.

The lamps are physically the same diameter so in many cases you can just change the lampholders and keep the fittings.

Although 12v fittings are not earthed, whether they need to be with a 230v lamp holder in place of a 12v is a matter for debate.

Are they open backed fittings or cans? If they're cans you may struggle to physically fit a GU10 lamp holder in place of GU5.3, they're much bigger

Just replaced all my low voltage with gu10 cans, straight swop , same size .(65-70mm hole)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back