wardobe lighting help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, this is my first post, I've used the forums in the past to find answers to things that are puzzling whilst renovating my house and it's been very helpful, but I can't seem to find any info here or on google regarding my current quandary which I was hoping somebody could help with.

I'm building some built-in wardrobes and I want to install lighting in their too, I just wanted to check what the regulations are for this type of lighting ie. types of lights that should be used (that don't get too hot and become a fire hazard)and distances from the wardrobe frame & items in the wardrobe that need to be adhered to?

I've run a fused switched spur of the ring main to supply the lighting and I'm looking at push switches on the door to operate the lights.

Any help will be appreciated

Cheers
CD

Sponsored Links
There are no specific wiring regulations but (per the above) common sense should prevail as to the type of light (ie not HOT ones).

Also, think about where the lights will be positioned and how effective they will be when the wardrobe shelves are full of boxes and the hanging rails have all those Armani suits on them.

Some time ago, I wired up a few custom wardrobes. The customer had specified illuminated hanging rails.
Something likeTHESE.
They worked fine until he had filled the cupboard, then you couldnt see the shoes at floor level.

Thanks for the comments so far.

sparkybird - I've seen the LED strips and I'm not keen, the low energy surface mount lights seem like a good option though. Do you know if one 9w light be bright enough for a 650 x 700 x 1500mm section of space, or would I need more?

Taylortwocities - thanks for the comments about regualtions. I have thought about how effective the lighting will be, I don't plan on putting lights in the cupboard which will contain shelving because it will be pointless, it's mainly for the cupboards that contain hanging space (which will include the one suit I own, not Armani though! :D ) My plan was to install the lights inside the front frame of the wardrobe above the door so it would illuminate from the front.

Do you know if the T5 fluorescent fitting like the following one would be suitable or does it get too hot?
http://www.sparksdirect.co.uk/t5-slim-under-cupboard-light-kitchen-fluorescent-fitting-p-4593.html

Are the low energy surface mount and the T5 light bright immediately when switched on or do they take a bit to warm up?

Sponsored Links
There are requirements/regulations for protection against fire from fixed electrical epuipement, unfortunately there are no given recommended distances.
But allowance should be made, ie a sensible distance between lamp and clothing/combustible materials, covers/shades over the lamp to protect combustible materials from the heat dissipated.
When I have placed light fittings in these type of areas, I normally install a flush fitting with cover and give about 600mm distance between fitting and clothing.

Yea I think I will go with the T5 fitting as it will be hidden.

Thanks for everyones input

My plan was to install the lights inside the front frame of the wardrobe above the door so it would illuminate from the front.

Do you know if the T5 fluorescent fitting like the following one would be suitable or does it get too hot?
http://www.sparksdirect.co.uk/t5-slim-under-cupboard-light-kitchen-fluorescent-fitting-p-4593.html

Are the low energy surface mount and the T5 light bright immediately when switched on or do they take a bit to warm up?
I've got T4s in that position in my wardrobe - been there for quite a few years and not set fire to anything yet.

Just ensure you adhere to the manufacturer's specified clearances....

And fit the door switches as near to the hinge as possible, or they'll push the doors open.

Inside? That'll never work!

Sorry, I just excited and wanted to post pictures of my wardrobe lights......

benway, nice lights, however they are on the wrong side of the door... for me.

Did you build the wardrobe doors yourself? I want similar doors on the wardrobe I'm building, however I'm probably not going to build them myself, never done it before and don't want to balls it up. I'm going to frame the doors though rather than having them sit on the front.

Use louvre doors (proper ones, not mock), and fit an override switch so you can have the lights on with the doors shut - gives nice background lighting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back