Wardrobe leaning heavily on sloping floors - any ideas?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just put up a baby wardrobe in our nursery and I'm quite shocked at just how uneven the floors are in this house - pictures below show roughly how far the front needs tilting.

How would you approach fixing the way the wardrobe leans? I've got an extra piece of wood in the same finish (shown in the pic) although cutting it will mean it's not white the whole way around - and the left and right gaps are different, which could be problematic. Or I was wondering if there were packs of feet you could buy with different heights?

Any bright ideas much appreciated.

otFl3N1.jpg

DWdfrk0.jpg

Sponsored Links
I would reduce the length of the back legs to suit the floor. Then if any minor adjustments are need ( leg cut too short ) then the shims will not be visible.

For safety the top of the unit should be securely attached to the wall to prevent the whole unit toppling forward when a heavy drawer is opened. Childen have been killed by wardrobes and chests of drawers toppling over on top of them.

I would reduce the length of the back legs to suit the floor. Then if any minor adjustments are need ( leg cut too short ) then the shims will not be visible.

For safety the top of the unit should be securely attached to the wall to prevent the whole unit toppling forward when a heavy drawer is opened. Childen have been killed by wardrobes and chests of drawers toppling over on top of them.

Amazing - thank you.

This is a very stupid question but what would you suggest is the best way to attempt to get it right first time? Measure the lift at the front on each side and remove that measurement from the legs at the back? Apologies for how stupid this question is, I don't want to muck it up.

It is not a stupid question. If the floor slopes in only one direction ( from front to back ) then measuring the gaps under the front legs and removing that much from the back legs is likely to work. Try and if it works first time then sucess has been achieved (*). If it still wobbles then cut a bit more of the back legs and add shims under the back legs until all four legs are on the floor.

(*) I had to use over shortened back legs and shims the first time I did this to a chest of drawers. The shims are still there.

Sponsored Links
just a thought
before you chop anything off if you have a set off furniture that matches like a chest off drawers you will need to taper the sides so keep that in mind before you start

Or before you chop anything off you can first decide HOW much to chop off by adding on. Use coasters or cardboard or whatever to balance it out at the front, and then you know how much to chop at the back. And do make sure you screw it to the wall using the correct type of rawlplugs - pay particular attention if you're fitting it to a plasterboard wall.

Nozzle

Or before you chop anything off you can first decide HOW much to chop off by adding on. Use coasters or cardboard or whatever to balance it out at the front, and then you know how much to chop at the back. And do make sure you screw it to the wall using the correct type of rawlplugs - pay particular attention if you're fitting it to a plasterboard wall.

Nozzle

Thanks - I’ll make sure I get the front spot on.

The wardrobe comes with a piece of material that attaches to the top of the wardrobe, onto the wall. I was planning just to attach that, following the instructions, when I was sure the legs were correct. Would this not offer enough support do you think?

It will offer enough security providing it is fixed to the wall with the correct plugs. It's only ever any good if it doesn't pull out of the wall

Nozzle

Look on Ebay for "adjustable feet"; there are loads of options there which will then allow you to move the furniture at a later date, without having to then start cutting the legs off again.

I drilled some holes in the bottom of the legs, and put some coach screws in, adjusted with a smaller and sat on some small bits of felt. The whole house is wonky so it work on everything from wardrobes to bedside tables. Normal screws for the smaller ones. :)

Yeah - I'd be inclined to lift the front with adjustable feet/coach screws/or shims that are glued & screwed on before I'd take a saw to the back legs. The fabric strap for the top is fine but as others have said make sure the fixing to the wall is secure.

Yeah - I'd be inclined to lift the front with adjustable feet/coach screws/or shims that are glued & screwed on before I'd take a saw to the back legs. The fabric strap for the top is fine but as others have said make sure the fixing to the wall is secure.

My concern here is just how much of a gap there is - one side is 2.5cm, the other is just over 3cm.

My concern here is just how much of a gap there is - one side is 2.5cm, the other is just over 3cm.
In which case I (personally) would make or buy some extensions to the legs either like this:
mqz3gA-3ZrDUlOwB-8v953A.jpg

or ones that screw into the existing feet like this kind of thing:
m96D9JO-NiI3ZLm1Tx4oMdw.jpg

A photo of the furniture might help?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back