wardrobe made from pallets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi am just about to start this project with no woodwork experience apart from the usual school stuff.

It seems straight forward. plane the wood, screw the boards together, then wax to give it an antique effect. I wont be adding a door as i have a feeling that the frame wont handle the weight-so a simple curtain will do..

I reckon i got the basics basically, but wondered what the easy to mess up things would be. If anyone could just highlight these then i might be in with a fighting chance of getting this done without too many problems. Advice would be most appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Why have you decided to build it from pallets? Is there a particular style you're after, or is it to save money?

heeellllooo anna preet

have you tried to dissasemble a pallat before!! if made properly they use ring shank nails and the heads will pull through the wood requiring massive strength and causing lots off dammage

the wood its self is very poor quality and will twist and warp in all directions

have you considerd scaffold boards you can get a great effect relativly cheaply with them :D ;)

you can pick them up from scaffolding yards very cheaply. i get them for a pound a time, and they let me go through all the old stuff, which has a few splits in etc, but are basically very sound.

Sponsored Links
My freind as made a set of drawers as a unit in his house and i would say it looks 2-3 hundred quids worth, don't knock it, it really looks well.

edit :oops: out of pallets

if i knew how to, that would of been my plan,just don,t underatand half of the terms used in explaining how to, and was aware that i'd probarbly get asked to :oops:

Can I post Images?
Images can indeed be shown in your posts. However, there is no facility at present for uploading images directly to this board. You can email your picture to [email protected] and details of the post you wish it to appear in and we can upload it for you. Therefore you must link to an image stored on a publicly accessible web server, e.g. http://www.some-unknown-place.net/my-picture.gif. You cannot link to pictures stored on your own PC (unless it is a publicly accessible server) nor images stored behind authentication mechanisms, e.g. hotmail or yahoo mailboxes, password protected sites, etc. To display the image use either the BBCode tag or appropriate HTML (if allowed).[/QUOTE]

You can use "photobucket" or some other image server which you can find using google. The server will give you a reference, then

Use

[img]"whatever-your-reference-is" and up comes the piccy

vsh0562l.jpg

where http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/vsh0562l.jpg is the reference.

I've got about the same level of carpentry skills (school CDT and a few hours watching New Yankee Workshop!). I made a rather nice dining table out of pallets last year and sold it on ebay for £85!

I work in a warehouse so I had easy access to loads of blonde palletts. Yes, they are a bugger to get apart without knackering the wood. But the ones that did come a part were made of quite decent wood. Planned them all up and molested them with the belt sander and the whole thing came up rather spiffy.

Main thing to consider is that you make the fame well. If the joints are weak then the whole thing will flop apart! :oops:

big-all said:
have you considerd scaffold boards you can get a great effect relativly cheaply with them :D ;)

Hangers fit nicely on a scaffold tube too. And two board clips for the handles. Sorted

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back