Warm SWA????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Should SWA installed properly feel warm to the touch? I was tidying around the distribution board at work the other day, and could feel the heat being radiated from an SWA where it goes into an isolator. Then i touched it and it is rather warm. It is the main SWA from the meter (6-8 metres away) and it feeds into a big metal-handled isolator (the metal braid is exposed here) which is also quite warm. Should this happen?

Sponsored Links
crafty1289 said:
Should SWA installed properly feel warm to the touch? I was tidying around the distribution board at work the other day, and could feel the heat being radiated from an SWA where it goes into an isolator. Then i touched it and it is rather warm. It is the main SWA from the meter (6-8 metres away) and it feeds into a big metal-handled isolator (the metal braid is exposed here) which is also quite warm. Should this happen?

at full load, they are rated 70 deg C. which is why they have to be in open space to dissapate heat

does it feel warm all along its length? or just where it goes into the isolator, if just near the isolator then there there could be a bad connection on the isolator , which would be a fire risk

andy said:
at full load, they are rated 70 deg C. which is why they have to be in open space to dissapate heat
or 90 if its XPLE insulation.

if its consistantly warm along the cable its nothing to worry about but if its only warm near terminations that could be an indication of bad connections.

Sponsored Links
The cable is only accessible at this end, nowhere else on its length, to touch it elsewhere would involve climbing over dairy chillers etc, which im not doing for anyone. Oh well, im not worried, we have a decent fire alarm system. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back