Was government advised to lockdown earlier?

SPI-M is the group SAGE leave to answer some questions / give opinions. SAGE have a similar person as well. Not sure of what to make of him. Very early on he was on C4 where various people talked about this area. He said no to several things followed by must think about the economy. He's been around on C4 since.I get the impression he isn't very happy.

Odd how C4 gets most of the leaks and whistle blowers. We need them. They call it being mischievous - letting us know things "they" don't want us to know. It does back fire sometimes eg videos from Syria. Some have been fakes taken by "insurgents". They and the BBC who also often report well are likely to suffer under the current lot.

In this case I'd want to read the entire report. I suspect the high number of deaths mentioned relates to do nothing or little not what they actually did so they did take some notice of it. As the virus lady mentioned later on that report could have been produced much earlier based on happenings elsewhere. They were watching what went on elsewhere. One brief man did mention herds and also how the NHS was going to develop their own antibody test in an ain't we wonderful manner in both cases. Herd might have been criticism though.

SAGE 4th Feb
https://assets.publishing.service.g...GE_meeting_on_Wuhan_Coronavirus__WN-CoV__.pdf

Sponsored Links
"The UK now has more new deaths from the Covid-19 coronavirus than the rest of Europe combined, despite its population being just one seventh of the size."

Which seems to suggest that our glorious leader completely screwed up!
Which suggests that certain groups of people in the UK are getting it more by their actions or otherwise

How you can blame "the Government" for catching and dying from a disease is bizarre. Victim culture much?

Europe: 180 974 deaths; the five countries reporting most deaths are United Kingdom (41 128), Italy (34 114), France (29 319), Spain (27 136) and Belgium (9 629.
Do the Math Lal....Unless you are being pedantic about ""new,"" that been down to variations of time of covid spread rather than anyones failure.
yes, the term 'more new deaths' is misleading.

clearly the UK has not had more deaths than Europe combined.

How you can blame "the Government" for catching and dying from a disease is bizarre. Victim culture much?

the public started to self lockdown before the government did
there were lots of calls to stop sporting events like Cheltenham

Sponsored Links
Crap

"Don't close the pubs", "Open McDonalds", "My kid needs to go to school", "I want to go to the beach", "If I close my shop I'll go bust" were the calls.

No-one was chanting "Lock me down". No-one.

Ceres is a Johnson apologist.

Ceres hides behind the argument that only simplistic binary proof is acceptable, a body of evidence that shows this governments shambolic handling of the crisis doesnt count.

Don't put words in my mouth. I have an enquiring mind and I don't believe everything the Press feeds to the masses.

Here are the facts. SPI-M is a sub-committee of SAGE. It advises SAGE on a specific area of science. It has 40+ members. It produced a consensus statement for SAGE on 2 March - this is in the public domain. One member of SPI-M allegedly wrote something to someone on 9 March. I'd like to see that.

I'm judging by your response that you don't actually have a link and that you've just believed and parroted a media report.

We don't need that tracing app now they've backtracked on sending the kiddies back to school, ha ha ha

Teachers going back full time before September was never on the cards, bizarre how blame has shifted away from the National Union of Teachers and onto Boris.
As I said a while ago:

To be fair, getting the teachers back to work was never going to be easy, regardless of class size.

fillyboy, 13 May 2020 Report Bookmark

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/give-boris-some-credit.544538/page-31#ixzz6P3P3XXqS

Oh FFS. It's too wight.

Labour MP Afzal Khan challenged the government in the House of Commons over why it chose the Isle of Wight to try out the NHS contact tracing mobile phone app.

Apparently the island has an "overwhelmingly white population", and black and Asian people may be less likely to trust the app due to their experiences of discrimination and profiling.

Here we go.

they are words you have written in posts on here.

No I have not. I have not said I apologise for Johnson. And I'm not hiding behind any argument about binary proof. I will make up my own mind on an issue when I've seen what I consider to be acceptable independent evidence. Unlike you, I don't accept at face value everything the Press trots out. It would be very easy for you to post up the Professor's paper and put an end to this one way or the other. Why won't you?

Government wants to get primary kids back to school, teachers/unions don't want to, so plans are shelved. Now Starmer says many children face a six-month absence from school, meaning "inequality will go up".

So which is it go back to school, don't go back to school. Discuss in less than 1000 words (10 marks).

I strongly suspect not shutting down arrivals is the main think of the economy aspect. If a lock down as long as we and others have had are expected this strongly suggests that ending them / handling any properly has a far lesser effect on the economy in the long run. Our way all sorts of costs escalate rapidly. ;) Bit of a blunt explanation of what the virus lady said in the video. Some did take steps to severely limit the spread and were prepared to do it - tracking for instance. The west mostly took no notice of SARS etc and hoped at one point that CV19 just went away as others have. This essentially means that they were not at all prepared for a pandemic. Best the uk could cope with is usual but not odd flu epidemics. Some odd flue epidemics kill lots and they can happen. I'd need to check this again but recollect that our testing capability started at 1000 a day. First increase was to 3000.

Then comes the obvious factor from their own reasoning - a pandemic is coming. They knew it would.

Sponsored Links
Back