Was government advised to lockdown earlier?

Government wants to get primary kids back to school, teachers/unions don't want to, so plans are shelved. Now Starmer says many children face a six-month absence from school, meaning "inequality will go up".

So which is it go back to school, don't go back to school. Discuss in less than 1000 words (10 marks).

Maybe expect Nightingale schools and a world shortage of portacabins and teachers.

Sponsored Links
Except the people who did.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ey-were-slow-to-sound-the-alarm-idUSKBN21P1VF

For some reason SAGE didn't really consider lockdown until fairly late. But even without the full lockdown we went with in the end there were plenty of calls to shut pubs and sporting and music events.

The Press like to cherry-pick to make shock / horror / gasp headlines that suit their political leaning. The full details of what advice was given to the Government is contained in the SAGE papers:

https://www.gov.uk/government/group...upporting-the-government-response-to-covid-19

political leaning

Entirely incorrect. Who ever is in power gets it if they can find reason. Any reason at all. Too many people live in cookoo land and think it's as simple as that but some papers do have leanings as we all know. Some TV channels just mostly report and may follow either of the herds. What people seldom do is look at underlying facts for themselves.

Sponsored Links
The Press like to cherry-pick to make shock / horror / gasp headlines that suit their political leaning. The full details of what advice was given to the Government is contained in the SAGE papers:

https://www.gov.uk/government/group...upporting-the-government-response-to-covid-19
They are, now after the press hounded the government into sharing them. They also include the reports that include the predicted death tolls, that weren't acted on for a long time afterwards.

Crap

"Don't close the pubs", "Open McDonalds", "My kid needs to go to school", "I want to go to the beach", "If I close my shop I'll go bust" were the calls.

No-one was chanting "Lock me down". No-one.
Dinner lady neighbour of mine who works in Tottenham was told to go home before the lockdown officially started - because concerned parents had already taken their children out of school.

The full details of what advice was given to the Government is contained in the SAGE papers:
So

The government wont release who was on the SAGE group.

Why?
because sage is not politically independent.

"Multiple attendees of Sage told the Guardian that both Cummings and Warner had been taking part in meetings of the group as far back as February.
The inclusion of Downing Street advisers on Sage will raise questions about the independence of its scientific advice."

Teachers going back full time before September was never on the cards, bizarre how blame has shifted away from the National Union of Teachers and onto Boris.
As I said a while ago:

To be fair, getting the teachers back to work was never going to be easy, regardless of class size.

fillyboy, 13 May 2020 Report Bookmark

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/give-boris-some-credit.544538/page-31#ixzz6P3P3XXqS
Boris didn't talk to teachers, nor councils before announcing that children would go back to school 1st June. Not really a good move on behalf of our PM is it? He was left with a backlash from authorities and not many kids going back - and now the gov have decided it's not feasible to send the rest of them back which is what teachers and councils said all along...

Own it.

Dinner lady neighbour of mine who works in Tottenham was told to go home before the lockdown officially started - because concerned parents had already taken their children out of school.
What are those parents doing now then? Happy to keep her kids at home for ever?

The Press like to cherry-pick to make shock / horror / gasp headlines that suit their political leaning.
most of the press is pro Right wing and you right it does cherry pick -to make this govt look good.

Boris didn't talk to teachers, nor councils before announcing that children would go back to school 1st June. Not really a good move on behalf of our PM is it? He was left with a backlash from authorities and not many kids going back - and now the gov have decided it's not feasible to send the rest of them back which is what teachers and councils said all along...

Well, it's certainly what the trade unions have said all along.

Which suggests that certain groups of people in the UK are getting it more by their actions or otherwise

How you can blame "the Government" for catching and dying from a disease is bizarre. Victim culture much?

"Don't close the pubs", "Open McDonalds", "My kid needs to go to school", "I want to go to the beach", "If I close my shop I'll go bust" were the calls.

No-one was chanting "Lock me down". No-one.
So are you suggesting that the general population in the UK is more stupid than the general population in Europe as a whole?

Sponsored Links
Back