Was Thatcher reallly that bad ?

Sponsored Links
One thing in my memory......Mrs T allowed the existing council houses to be privately sold to the tenants - albeit at a knock down price.
Within a very short time - down came the garden walls to allow the Ford Cortina to be parked outside the house, and on went a plastic front door.
From that moment, a huge problem area (Newcastle West End) changed significantly.
From being a (teachers) no go zone area in the early 70's, it became safe to walk and drive through, and it sure as hell wasn't before.
John :)

One thing in my memory......Mrs T allowed the existing council houses to be privately sold to the tenants - albeit at a knock down price.
Within a very short time - down came the garden walls to allow the Ford Cortina to be parked outside the house, and on went a plastic front door.
From that moment, a huge problem area (Newcastle West End) changed significantly.
From being a (teachers) no go zone area in the early 70's, it became safe to walk and drive through, and it sure as hell wasn't before.
John :)

Very true -- Know why ?
Because people who buy their own homes - care about their homes . Simples.
Most people who rent a council house (all mod cons paid for pit) dont give a 'jot'. Pays bugger all and expects Everthing for free) Huts for Mutts-- as the saying goes .
If anything- council tenants should pay more for their houses than private renters.

I believe they allocate the council houses on a points system-- single 17 year old unmarried mummy- gets a jackpot . Drug users get a great deal too.
The list is amazing .

Good for Maggie-- she got them sussed.
The ''lady'' was not for turning' -- and fulll credit to her- she stuck to her word --unlike, may I add- the politicians/leaders of today .
May we soon get another one like her-- please.

Very true -- Know why ?
So they dont 'bodge' their gas? ;)
Most people who rent a council house (all mod cons paid for pit) dont give a 'jot'. Pays b*****r all and expects Everthing for free) Huts for Mutts-- as the saying goes .
If anything- council tenants should pay more for their houses than private renters.
Fair enough.

I believe they allocate the council houses on a points system-- single 17 year old unmarried mummy- gets a jackpot . Drug users get a great deal too.
The list is amazing .

The ''lady'' was not for turning' -- and fulll credit to her- she stuck to her word --unlike, may I add- the politicians/leaders of today .

Sponsored Links
Very true -- Know why ?
So they dont 'bodge' their gas? ;)
Most people who rent a council house (all mod cons paid for pit) dont give a 'jot'. Pays b*****r all and expects Everthing for free) Huts for Mutts-- as the saying goes .
Fair enough.

The list is amazing .

and the point is ????? (Mr 'knock me at every opportunity however desperate you get for ammunition ')

ps gas not bodged. gas done correctly-- as snug as a bug in a rug right now . Fire blazing away -- open vent 'towel less.
Combi (non condensermoneymakingcrapforaplumber) boiler on- and life is superb.
Sat here planning a quick hol before late fed hol.
Very stressing. ;) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

And yet, you had posted you would be on a cruise right now. You even asked me for an address so you could send your card to me.

PP, to keep up these lies, your going to have to keep up. I was actually considering inviting you to scambait on a site I run, but your too fragrant, inept, inconsistent and vulgar. These are your good points. Ill send you my address as I have a PO Box (I scambait), and Ill bet ya 50p Ill never see a card from this exotic holiday.

Infact, your now my mugu and to prove me wrong your gonna have to work real hard to back up your lies.

To send me your fake snaps.... see www.419eater.com

FAO Mods.
Would you please ask these guys to back off a little. You know they are always trying to bait me .
I have no wish to trade insults with them.
I generally ignore such people these days- but- to be bombarded with continuous insults- is not very nice and is harmful to each thread I contribute to.

I am no angel-- but- I never stalk a person and let loose my frustrations on anyone- like those people (you know who they are) do.
Regards,
Pete

What a sad move, you serious? go and see your doc my friend i suffer but not like you.

you are winding up, i'm sure.

FAO Mods.
Would you please ask these guys to back off a little. You know they are always trying to bait me .
I have no wish to trade insults with them.
I generally ignore such people these days- but- to be bombarded with continuous insults- is not very nice and is harmful to each thread I contribute to.

I am no angel-- but- I never stalk a person and let loose my frustrations on anyone- like those people (you know who they are) do.
Regards,
Pete
What utter cr4p you talk . You continually post cr4p about what your delunsional mind thinks you have done such as flown concorde and was asked to be an astronaught ffs :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

thatcher also sold off the family silver at a discount to pay for tax cuts that gave thousands to the better off and pound to the working man

also selling off council houses cheap[up to 75% discount ] had several bad points and a few good
the councils where not allowed to build more homes with the money from sales
this ended up in a progressive shortage off social housing and large surpluses from the sales
this allowed thatcher to reduce the monies given to councils as the balance on the books was excessive from the sales
it also had the effect off the now" home owner "would not strike as they have a mortgage to pay
so we shouldn't blame the high housing costs on the people as politicians off all persuasion have carried on the selling housing stock without replacing it

i am sure thatcher has done many a good thing but not for the working man towards the lower end
all governments will get things wrong but the tories are far more selective in who they help

the only way the tories can get into power is by turkeys voting for xmass

also selling off council houses cheap[up to 75% discount ] had several bad points and a few good
this ended up in a progressive shortage off social housing and large surpluses from the sales

You have to understand the reasoning behind this.

Conservative thinking largely see's social housing as a plaster to a failing housing system.

It was an attempt to fix that housing system, rather than keep plastering over it.

We built millions and millions of social homes, if we have to keep building millions more, that is a failure not something to cheer about!

{snip} high housing costs

High private housing costs have nothing to do with council houses, I don't know why anyone makes this connection, if anything providing more private houses from council house sales should lower prices.

The problem with not building more council houses, is we didn't properly fix the underlying causes that keep house prices high.

1. speculation/investment (Ireland was building massively until recently, far far in excess of what they needed, yet prices went UP!).

2. land-banking, mostly caused by councils selling of large parcels of land to developers and making sales of single plots almost impossible.

3. NOT ON MY GREEN BELT nimbys, most of whom have houses that where fields once, selfish old b@strds denying our generation housing.

Probably could list several more.

You have to understand the reasoning behind this.

Conservative thinking largely see's social housing as a plaster to a failing housing system.

It was an attempt to fix that housing system, rather than keep plastering over it.

We built millions and millions of social homes, if we have to keep building millions more, that is a failure not something to cheer about!

{snip} high housing costs

High private housing costs have nothing to do with council houses, I don't know why anyone makes this connection, if anything providing more private houses from council house sales should lower prices.

The problem with not building more council houses, is we didn't properly fix the underlying causes that keep house prices high.

1. speculation/investment (Ireland was building massively until recently, far far in excess of what they needed, yet prices went UP!).

2. land-banking, mostly caused by councils selling of large parcels of land to developers and making sales of single plots almost impossible.

3. NOT ON MY GREEN BELT nimbys, most of whom have houses that where fields once, selfish old b@strds denying our generation housing.

Probably could list several more.

the houses in ireland where bought as investments where easy lending led to house prices shooting up artificially almost like a pyramid selling sceme where the only end is disaster
this proves nothing other than greed and false hopes is no way to run your life or the economy

you either have to provide social housing or increase wages drastically to allow people to buy

Sponsored Links
Back