Washing machine broken "spider" can it be fixed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My washing machine was banging so I assumed it was the bearing, I spent 2 hours getting into the guts of it so now it's just an empty metal box and bits, I think I remember where everything goes, it wasnt the bearings, the "spider " at the back cracked, the picture looks like it's really rusty but it's not, the metal is clean, it's just washing powder sludge, I was going to get a new part but they are £80, ( I've looked that's the best price) I've tried to weld it but can't even get a spark, it seems to be some sort of cast metal, I've read on line that these can be fixed very successfully with jb weld, has anyone had any experience of this, any advice would be helpful, I've also thought about making a few metal plates and screwing them in. Either Side of the gap

Attachments

• DSC_0049.JPG
    DSC_0049.JPG
    245.1 KB · Views: 193
  • DSC_0046.JPG
    DSC_0046.JPG
    302.9 KB · Views: 186
Sponsored Links
Can you contact local scrap yards to see if they have the same make/model as you in?

Buy new machine as above. I'm all for fixing but that's not worth trying

Sponsored Links
If you replace it, there is a big chance it's screwed on with an opposite handed thread to the fixing nut.

Realistically, it's time for a new machine.
That looks very old, too old to possible find parts for it in a scrap yard.
Do we actually know how old this machine is?

A few years back, my penultimate washing machine developed a broken 'spider' (or whatever it's called) within its 1-year warranty period.

Kind Regards, John

It's only 2 1/2 years old, however it's made by montpellier and it's a pain to get bits for, the photo looks as If it's all rusted but it isn't, it's just residue from washing powder.

Pop rivets and epoxy.

For 80£, id just fit a new part. Time is also money.

Trying to home repair something that will spin at up to possibly 1600 rpm is a bit foolish if I am allowed to be blunt.
If you managed to repair it and it failed again the results could be catastrophic.
Either pay the £80 for a proper replacement or think about getting a new machine.
Is that component inside the drum or outside at the back? Either way it should not be in that condition. If it's inside then that 'crust' will be transferring onto your clothes. If it's outside then washing powder scum should not be coming in to contact with it unless your machine is leaking somewhere.

Chuck it, if that's really only 2 1/2 years old I wouldn't have that machine in my house.
Have you seen what happens when a drum lets go on a full load with modern plastic tubs?

I wouldn’t chance fixing a spider, I did change one a few years ago. The wife was shocked when she saw the machine stopped to the case with no front or top and the bits spread out on the kitchen floor.

I'm afraid this isn't helpful, but I found it entertaining ;)

As others have said, I don't think I would attempt a fix on the spider, sorry :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back