washing machine not draining ( Zanussi essential )

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Relatively new & little used washing machine is not draining.

Everything works fine until it hits the draining part of the cycle & then just pauses with water in the drum & won't move on.

I've cleaned out the filter. (nothing in there)
Undone the pipe underneath, between the drum & the filter, blown through it & air is coming through, put fingers in & no blockages.

Still not working, any advice? - would prefer to sort it myself as I'm skint at the moment.

Sponsored Links
I wondered if "relatively new" means just out of warranty & "little used" means it could just have been an unbalanced load had prevented the cycle from finishing. How old is the washer & does it happen every time you try it?
Just re-read your post & think you may have had the same problem with no load in the drum, does yours have a pressure switch mounted on top of the drum assy with a small bore pipe running down to the pump. If you blow into the pump end of this pipe you should hear the switch actuating/de-actuating. You may need to test it with a meter if it is mechanically operating properly.

I haven't tried it without a load in, will do.

I'm not sure what to look for regarding the "pressure switch" - but will try & have a look later.

Just been running it now. - It functions when I have the manual drain pipe open (on the front of the machine next to the filter door) - If I leave it on it's cycle it pauses when it tries to drain, I can manually drain it & then it continues on its cycle - Not sure what this means (if anything) - But once its finished I'll have a look for the pressure switch.

I'm sure it's something simple.

Sponsored Links
Ok. Tried blowing down the pipe from the pressure switch. Couldn't hear anything apart from air going down the pipe. Put the machine on a rinse cycle without any washing in & has stopped again when it's got to the drain part of the cycle.

does this mean it's probably the actual pump motor?

Any suggestions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back