Washing Machine Public Liability Claim

WSB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I had a repair done to a washing machine and as part of this, the front large drum seal was replaced.

Unfortunately, since this this seal was replaced, it leaked, causing the electrics to short and trip the fuse box.

After 6 weeks without washing machine, it was written off and replaced.

However, it was discovered that the slow leak had seeped round the back of the machine and under the lino flooring, causing damage.
This was discovered due to bubbling up of the lino flooring.

The machine is Hotpoint and I am covered with Domestic and General cover, who put me in touch with Whirlpool (who manage the engineers, repairs etc).

I contacted Whirlpool customer support who raised a public liability claim and passed it on to their claims dept to ask to replace the damaged lino flooring.

The claims dept say that the engineer had stated the issue as a "part failure", although at the time he told us verbally that whoever fitted the seal during the repair hadn't done it properly and that was the cause.

As it was stated as a "part failure", Claims Dept say they cannot create a claim for this. Sounds like nonsense to me as surely a part is supposed to last more than a couple of months. And either way, this still sounds like a valid case for a claim.

Am doing my best to progress this, so if anyone has any advice or email addresses of whom to contact that'd be great.

Feeling like I'm being fobbed off here.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Part failure or ineptitude during fitting should both be covered by any warranty for the original repair which in this case seems to have been done by Hotpoint/Whirlpool so they are responsible for faulty parts they have fitted ( whether it was done correctly or not ) and any damage caused to your property by their failures. Are you talking a big bill for the repairs, as you will also have the option of claiming off your house insurance and let them fight it out with Hotpoint/Whirlpool

• Thanks
Reactions: WSB
Part failure or ineptitude during fitting should both be covered by any warranty for the original repair which in this case seems to have been done by Hotpoint/Whirlpool so they are responsible for faulty parts they have fitted ( whether it was done correctly or not ) and any damage caused to your property by their failures. Are you talking a big bill for the repairs, as you will also have the option of claiming off your house insurance and let them fight it out with Hotpoint/Whirlpool
Don't think it'll be a big bill. Just replace the lino. More the hassle of moving appliances around and disruption.
Would rather not claim off the insurance as they'll probably just bump the premiums up the following year.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back