Washing machine settings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I've been using this washing machine a few week. I don't have the manual.
I did a wash today on the setting shown (40C) and the wash lasted ages, at least two hours.
Does this look like the right setting for a regular 40 wash or would that be the 40 eco or 40 synthetics?
Thanks

Attachments

• _20180920_163511.JPG
    _20180920_163511.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 118
Sponsored Links
Eco uses less water, if you want quicker use the "quick wash". 30 degrees.
Manuals available online.

Sponsored Links
The number of different settings are just a waste of time , most people stick to one programme that they are happy with , so long as it does the job of washing the items .

You should be able to download a user manual if you look on the manufacturers website for your model. If it was only the spin cycle that took longer than it should have then you probably had an unbalanced load of washing.

“Energy efficient” washes often take a long time, e.g. 2-3 hours. The idea is that rather than sloshing back and forth a lot and using lots of energy doing so they slosh a bit and then soak a bit. So there’s less sloshing and more soaking.
There is probably a quick wash setting that will take much less time but use more energy, and you may find that it has a lower max load (mine does).

i tried an experiment 59 min wash 40 degrees 1600 spin speed and tumble dry
used a plug in meter at 12p a unit it used 900wh for the wash and and 1.600wh for the seperate dryer so 30p for a mixed heavy load washed and dried not worth hanging it out to save 19p lives too short:D

Last edited:
My 40 degree wash is 1 hour 30 mins and 1 hour 11 mins if I press eco so the opposite to what was said above.

Synthetics or not will depend on if you are washing synthetic or natural fibre clothes. In practice it spins slower in the drying cycle but it may vary if they actually increase the duration to balance it out.

As others have said, google your make/model of washer and it'll come up with the manual, our new (to us) Smeg washer includes the time for each programme. Washes can take a hell of a long time and also vary massively between machines. Our old washer was 1hr 45 for a 40C wash or 1hr 20 for a "rapid wash" whereas the new one is about 1hr 15 for a 40C, 55min for a 40C rapid wash but also has a 15min quick wash at 30C.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back