Washing Machine Waste Non-Return Valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a washing machine which keeps filling up with dirty water when not in use and I was advised to get a non return valave for the waste pipe. The one I have looks like this:

The fitting for my existing waste pipe which, goes directly into the kitchen sink waste, looks like this:

So, obviously I have two male fittings and I can't find anything that will join the two together. The only solution I can think of is to get another length of waste pipe and join them together this way. The only problem with this is the existing waste pipe, at 2 metres, is already about a metre too long with the washing machine being right next to the sink and, a new length is minimum of 1.5 metres.

Any suggestions please?

Sponsored Links
Sort the route of your existing waste pipe out as per man u instructions and you won't have a problem

You could join your pipe by using two jubilee clips but an easier way is to turn the waste pipe upwards so that it's higher.......this way the sink waste can't run down your machine pipe.
John :)

Sorry, not sure I understand, how do you mean turn it upwards?

I have extremely limited space under the sink and getting to the back of the washing machine is even harder as it is in a cabinet.

Sponsored Links
Its not rocket science the pipe is running down to the washer, water likes to flow that way,

So re- route the pipe so it runs up and over the top level of water in the sink

then it cant run into washing machine.

The waste needs to rise high out of the machine ( to work top height) and then descend into the drain for all to be well.
From why you have there, make the pipe rise out of the drain connection as high as you can......water running out of the sink can't flow down the machine waste then.

The washing machine drain hose need to go up to bottom of sink / worktop and loop over before connect to sink trap. That will stop water from sink going in machine hose.

Did anyone noticed the trap.....?

That sink trap is fitted wrong way. Washing machine hose is connected to outlet of a sink trap. What you need is to connect to tee piece of trap, the other way.

Daniel.

I have tried to do this but the space under the sink is so limted i cant get the pipe to go and then down with enough space to join the trap. And if I pull the washing machine out, it comes out so far that there isnt enough slack on the pipe to do anything with it.

In which case, use a length of new machine pipe to rise out of the drain, and connect it to the existing pipe with jubilee clips at a convenient place.

I wanted to avoid adding more piping because despite what I just said, when you push the washing back in, there is quite a lot of slack.

I thought there might be just a simple male to male join I could use but if more pipe is needed then that is what I will go for.

The washing machine drain hose need to go up to bottom of sink / worktop and loop over before connect to sink trap. That will stop water from sink going in machine hose.

Did anyone noticed the trap.....?

That sink trap is fitted wrong way. Washing machine hose is connected to outlet of a sink trap. What you need is to connect to tee piece of trap, the other way.

Daniel.

I think I can see what you mean, the actual trap leads to the washing machine and not the waste, right?

Does it just need turning round the other way?

I think I can see what you mean, the actual trap leads to the washing machine and not the waste, right?

Does it just need turning round the other way?

You need to turn the trap around so the outlet ( where the hose currently connected to ) is connected to waste pipe and the tee part of trap stay where it is but turn it so washing machine hose can connect to it. You will need to cut waste pipe back to make room for part of trap.

Daniel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back