Water leaking into Boiler !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

Vaillant ecotech 832 plus

I have recently posted about our Radiators not heating up and was advised that it may be the diverting Valve and to call an Engineer out.

I tried to get in touch with the Person who had installed the Boiler in 2019 but was not able to get through to him so got in touch with his Cousin instead who came out to have a look.

He had come to find out that there has been Water leaking into our Boiler for a very long time from the Flue.

There is rust builtup all over, some Pipes have corrosion and turned purple, Water all over the Electrical Plugs and the Water is still leaking into it as im writing this Post.

The Engineer told me that he would try to come back in a Week or so time to have a look at the diverting Valve and left it at that.

I then did some research about the Water leak and discovered that the Flue should have been installed levelled which is not the case.

He raised the end part of the Flue which has maybe caused the connecting Seal at the Boiler side to leak Water back into it.

I have got back in touch with him and told him that the Flue needs to be level but he disagreed with me saying it needs to be raised at the end.

I told him that the exit Pipe inside the Flue is already raised at the end part and that he should not have raised the part as well.

He had disagreed with me and told me that his Cousin who installed the Boiler had gone abroad for sometime and that he was not sure when he would return back.

I tried to ring and message him with no response.

Vaillant told me that a leaking Flue is not covered by their Warranty as it is an installation fault and not a Manufacturers fault.

Can anyone confirm please if the Flue should have been installed levelled ?

The leak is literally on the right side of the Flue.

Thank you for all of your help and advice.

Attachments

• 20220914_162739.jpg
    20220914_162739.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 92
  • 20220914_162546.jpg
    20220914_162546.jpg
    371.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 20220914_162624.jpg
    20220914_162624.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 20220914_162658.jpg
    20220914_162658.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 80
Sponsored Links
An excerpt from the Vaillant flue installation guide - that flue has too much gradient imo. It could also be the turret seal that’s skewed.

Attachments

• 644C33EF-6F78-4F9F-9AED-B202770C9189.jpeg
    644C33EF-6F78-4F9F-9AED-B202770C9189.jpeg
    211.2 KB · Views: 44
An excerpt from the Vaillant flue installation guide - that flue has too much gradient imo. It could also be the turret seal that’s skewed.
Thank you for sharing that info and im surprised that even on the Vaillant Website is it mentioned that the Flue should be straight. He tried to tell me that it needs to be at an angle which is clearly not true.

I believe that because the Flue is not level is neither the Flue Elbow that is sitting on top of the Boiler not level either which is causing a leak in the Seal.

This is also evident as the leak is on the right hand side of the Flue.

My main concern is also the Pipe that has become corroded and purple inside of the Boiler because of the Water. Is that a hot Water Pipe and will it need to be replaced ?

I don't really want to call out a Gas Safe Register inspector as that could get the installer into some serious trouble.

Thanks again for any help and advice.

This Pipe is concerning which has become corroded and turned purple on both sides. Can anyone tell me what Pipe that is and if it will need to be replaced ?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20220914_162649.jpg
    20220914_162649.jpg
    350.4 KB · Views: 55
Sponsored Links
It’s the cold water inlet and the black plastic bit is the sensor that tells the boiler to fire up for a hot water demand. Condensing boilers do have to fall back to the boiler, but on the Vaillant they’re built into the flue, and would only need to rise slightly if at all.

It’s the cold water inlet and the black plastic bit is the sensor that tells the boiler to fire up for a hot water demand. Condensing boilers do have to fall back to the boiler, but on the Vaillant they’re built into the flue, and would only need to rise slightly if at all.
Okay thanks for the advise my friend

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
your installer is correct, a standard length flue is fitted "level" the straight part means use as little bends as possible, your flue is not a standard flue but an extended flue and should be installed with a run back to the boiler a minimum of 44mm/M

your installer is correct, a standard length flue is fitted "level" the straight part means use as little bends as possible, your flue is not a standard flue but an extended flue and should be installed with a run back to the boiler a minimum of 44mm/M

Okay you might be right as I have just called Valliant and they have confirmed with me that it needs to be slightly raised.

Thanks for the advice my friend.

Yep, apologies, just found this

Attachments

• 64728CBD-3D06-493D-821F-B0576D512163.jpeg
    64728CBD-3D06-493D-821F-B0576D512163.jpeg
    174.6 KB · Views: 36
Is that a telescopic flue? If so, I suspect that the seal on the telescoping inner flue has failed. Condensate will be leaking from the inner flue into the air intake part of the flu and then running back into the boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back