britsh gas f'''ers!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
did a landlord check 2 months ago. landlord phones me saying bg came out , at risked boiler saying it leaking co , said he "needs a new boiler" quoted 3k for combi swap a alpha 240!!!
told the landlord it room sealed and if it was leaking it can only be flue and case seal ( which were visually fine)then told him if it was leaking why didnt bg suggust fixing it ie new case seal or flue!!!and stick a co alarm there and if it rings give me a bell . also said if it was leaking co it is i.d. not AR!!!!he said good point. anyway he phoned me back the next day saying he just wanted to hear my version. he had spoken to other gasmen who told him what i had said was correct. also he said that he didnt tell me initally coz he wanted my version --- bg had serviced the boiler and left a co alarm there!!!! transpired alarm not ringing!!!! he had also got a third party in who said bg had not serviced boiler( photo evidence) !!!
is this for real? why would bg engineer do this? do they get commission ??? landlord is furious and thanked me for my help. how can you say a boiler is leaking co after supposedly servicing it, at risk it , leave a co alarm that isnt ringing!!!! do they think people are so stupid

Sponsored Links
At risk and CO sounds more like the boiler didn't achieve a satisfactory FGA test, so AR is correct. could be a case of misunderstanding. But then again might not be. I'd eat my own foot if they actually said it was leaking CO and not ID'd it.

Well newgas, they're getting desperate for business!!! Cutting install prices by a third is a desperate measure. But still leaves a healthy profit margin for us........ ;)

well eat your foot!! landlord said it was AR and sticker said leaking co!!! even though co alarm he left behind isnt ringing!!!! when myself and later other people told him that the fact that it wasnt i.d. and alarm not going off and he didnt say oh it just needs new case seal or something and wasnt even serviced by the enginer ( photo evidence )proves bg yet again pulling a fast one. jokers.

Sponsored Links
BG went around to one of tenant's neighbours. Told the neighbour that our flue was installed incorrectly cos it was pluming across the boundary, 300mm+.

BG drone never bother to tell their customer (the neighbour) that their own boiler was about 50mm from the boundary and likely doing the same damn thing.

:rolleyes:

Yum, toenails.
CO alarms mean feck all, they only activate at set levels over a period of time and not definative proof that there is no CO.
Photographic evidence of a FGA test, burner pressure, flue & vent test? It's nit a service remember it's an inspection. What does the picture show exactly?
If you have concerns over the unsafe classification contact BG and get them to explain what happened.
Why the fixation with a case seal? That and the flue aren't the only potential CO leakage points on a RS appliance. Corrosion?
Ring BG and get the manager to explain it.
And tarring all BG people with the same brush is like saying all landlords are DSS lovers.
But then again, he could just be a wombat.

co alarm on top of the boiler for past 2 weeks!!!!

no corrosion( i unlike bg took case off!!)

photo evidence. boiler dirty inside and tenant said bg guy didnt take cover off!!! he told landlord he was there for 2 hrs!!! i was there for landlords inspection not service.

why not tell him where its leaking? (which it wasnt)nope-- new boiler and quote 3k!!!great knowledge and customer service skills there

jokers

co alarm on top of the boiler for past 2 weeks!!!!

no corrosion( i unlike bg took case off!!)

photo evidence. boiler dirty inside and tenant said bg guy didnt take cover off!!! he told landlord he was there for 2 hrs!!! i was there for landlords inspection not service.

why not tell him where its leaking? (which it wasnt)nope-- new boiler and quote 3k!!!great knowledge and customer service skills there

jokers

i agree with you on this one newgas10
BG are ex double glazing salesmen the slightest thing wrong with a boiler
its the same old sales patter,
am sorry but it will all after come out there a bunch of
CHIN SCRATCHERS.

Oh my goodness!!!! This is exactly what happened to me! From the time BG entered my house to do annual service the engineer was trying to sell me a new boiler. Spiel about how I couldn't sell the house with a boiler that age in it. Five minutes later he had disconnected the boiler. He said there was nothing wrong with my boiler but the flue was blocked, flue not covered by my service agreement but the boiler was - funny that! Said I might as well get a new boiler as new flue would be almost as much. Also told me old flue was made of asbestos and I would have to pay a huge sum to dispose of it.

So I got a new boiler (not from BG) and that is when all my problems started.

I too had co alarm next to the boiler - it works fine - is tested regularly, never went off but BG engineer told me that if I didn't agree with boiler disconnection he would call Transco and get my entire gas supply cut off.

You are right. My BG Engineer acted like a dodgy double glazing salesman.

It's easy to produce significant CO in the Alpha 240s and the rest of the range.

The spire clips corrode allowing the front insulation panel to come away. This allows the fan to draw air through the resultant gap bypassing the burner giving very poor combustion.

I've also seen several with the 2 lugs either side on the front insulation panel not located correctly in the burner. This can allow the burner to drop down slighty again causing poor combustion as the air bypasses the burner...always check carefully and replace borken spire clips.

Damaged casing seal would not result in a CO leak into the room.

Keep this boiler going at all costs...one of the best made. They get a lot of stick from those that know little about them.

And putting a CO alarm on top of the boiler is about as much use as trying to cook a chicken in a fridge.
It won't work.
I'd be contacting BG about it and asking for an explanation.
But let's not be deluded into thinking RGIs are all saints and BG muppets. Bad on both sides.

And putting a CO alarm on top of the boiler is about as much use as trying to cook a chicken in a fridge.
It won't work.
I'd be contacting BG about it and asking for an explanation.
But let's not be deluded into thinking RGIs are all saints and BG muppets. Bad on both sides.

Ideal place if you have only one is outside your bed room ie landing.

if yea have two one in the living room,

anywhere you spend time relaxing look at the instru\ctions

BG Engineers should know this they are glaziers in disguise.

Not necessarily, near the gas burning appliance is best, why have it at the other side of the house so around the appliance becomes toxic untilm the levels around the alarm are met and it's activated.
Surely an RGI would know this?

did a landlord check 2 months ago. landlord phones me saying bg came out , at risked boiler saying it leaking co , said he "needs a new boiler" quoted 3k for combi swap a alpha 240!!!
told the landlord it room sealed and if it was leaking it can only be flue and case seal ( which were visually fine)then told him if it was leaking why didnt bg suggust fixing it ie new case seal or flue!!!and stick a co alarm there and if it rings give me a bell . also said if it was leaking co it is i.d. not AR!!!!he said good point. anyway he phoned me back the next day saying he just wanted to hear my version. he had spoken to other gasmen who told him what i had said was correct. also he said that he didnt tell me initally coz he wanted my version --- bg had serviced the boiler and left a co alarm there!!!! transpired alarm not ringing!!!! he had also got a third party in who said bg had not serviced boiler( photo evidence) !!!is this for real? why would bg engineer do this? do they get commission ??? landlord is furious and thanked me for my help. how can you say a boiler is leaking co after supposedly servicing it, at risk it , leave a co alarm that isnt ringing!!!! do they think people are so stupid
So a third party serviced it and took photos.......
i unlike bg took case off!!)
then he got you to do it again, does he not trust anyone?

Not necessarily, near the gas burning appliance is best, why have it at the other side of the house so around the appliance becomes toxic untilm the levels around the alarm are met and it's activated.
Surely an RGI would know this?

read the instruction i got them here with me for the bg co detectors

proves to me dave british gas patio sales man you are another bg idoit

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back