water meter moved whilst on holiday

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We went on holiday for 9 days so before i closed the house i took a photo of water meter to get a reading. I had made sure all taps off, and DHW and heating also off. As we arrived back, i took another reading.

The meter had moved by a very slight amount above exactly 1 unit (last digit).

Is this 1 litre or 100ml i cant figure it out!!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
You could always draw a litre off while noting what the reading says.

Good point!!!

Just did that, its actually half a litre approx!! Not insignificant i would think, so must be a leak?

No sign of leak though

Cheers

Sponsored Links
A loss of .5 litre over the course of a week or so is reasonable? Ok cool. Wouldnt mind reducing it to zero though, thats 25l per year.

Edit. I have a mysterious damp patch on an internal wall, which is why i have been looking into this. No pipes in direct vicinity though, but solid concrete floors.

black figures are cubicm 1 tonne 1000L or around £2
red figures are hundreds tens and units 100L = around 20p 10L= 2p 1L= 0.2p

the actual amount per litres depends on water company

Thanks

So does that mean .5 litre is generally considered acceptable? There are no drips in toilet cisterns, or the header tanks etc. Outside tap is turned off and isolated. There is no lid on the heating F&E, but i doubt that .5 litre could be accounted for through evaporation.

Its not a cost concern more of a does it need to be investigated...

Thanks.

its within plus or minus 1% so expect within manufacturers spec
dripping tap evaporation in your roof tank
rats drinking out your tank in the attic
water contracting as it cools down taking up less volume so needing topped up

if it was greater than 2 litres it would be worth some effort investigating :D

Where is the meter? In the street or in your home?

meter is inside the house

no rats in the roof lol, though the water cooling down and needing a top-up is a good point, the heating was on the morning that we left.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back