Water Meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi again,

Still trying to avoid large bills and lots of digging. (see my last post)

Can I move my water meter to another site on my property or does it need to be done by the rip off water board.

Thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Hi Bahco,

thanks for that piece of advice. I have given up all thoughts of water pipes and sewers. New plan is, the extension to the back has already got a supply via my meter. I want to t- off my supply to feed the extension and install my own meter to the extension (so that tenant can be billed proportionately). Unfortunately I need to move the water boards meter to gain access to pipework. I ask again is there any regs/law that prevents me moving the meter.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It is an offence to interfere wit ha meter or pipework in a way that will cause the erroneous measurement of water.

You should be able to move it yourself, but will require consent from the water company. They may insist that either
i) You pay them to move it.
ii) You pay for them to examine the pipework and re-tag the meter.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but just do things properly and pay the going rates. Trying to cut corners to save a few pence in some instances is just not worth it.

Thinking about it I would assume the meters need to be fitted at point of entry to the property so that all water is measured accurately.

Wouldn't want any water to be bypassed from the meter would they ;)

Without being rude, but what the hell are you on.

Have you seen the price of water lately ? my last bill was 93.45p per cubic meter.

From 29/07/06 to 26/01/07 the volume charge was £1.86, and the standing charge was £14.46 or £16.32 for 6 months water.

Now lets assume a cost for the work you want to do so you can bleed a few quid out of the tenent, comes to a realistic £500.00 plus God knows how much stress and effort to do the job, the mind boogles. :LOL:

Whoa!

Steady doitall, I f you have seen my last posting I am trying to avoid the £1400+ water board charge and the cost of digging up my drive to a depth of 30" wich would also need a surveyor to find out what else is under there. Just to replace a supply in that is already there. :eek:

Bahco said:
Thinking about it I would assume the meters need to be fitted at point of entry to the property so that all water is measured accurately.

A lot of them are installed inside the property. I would prefer to see them installed at the highway boundary (which is the point where the pipework becomes private responsibility as opposed to Water Co's). This would prevent a lot of problems, especially when it comes to identifying leaks. It is amazing how quickly a leak is identified on a pipe when the water is being paid for by volume.

Hypnoman said:
Whoa!

Steady doitall, I f you have seen my last posting I am trying to avoid the £1400+ water board charge and the cost of digging up my drive to a depth of 30" wich would also need a surveyor to find out what else is under there. Just to replace a supply in that is already there. :eek:

True I haven't seen you're other post, but it doesn't explain the need for the work anyway.

You said.

New plan is, the extension to the back has already got a supply via my meter. I want to t- off my supply to feed the extension and install my own meter to the extension (so that tenant can be billed proportionately). Unfortunately I need to move the water boards meter to gain access to pipework. I ask again is there any regs/law that prevents me moving the meter.

Why not just connect the extension up and give the tenant the water for 50p a week

Hypnoman said:
and the cost of digging up my drive to a depth of 30" wich would also need a surveyor to find out what else is under there. Just to replace a supply in that is already there. :eek:

Get it moled. Depending on the length of your drive and ground conditions probably only need a few holes. Minimum disruption and not that expensive (considering the work you will save yourself)

the meter is set at the back of the property.there is what i believe to be 25mm poly pipe running under my floorboards (front to back) somewhere it changes to 15 mm to fit the meter. outlet from meter is also 15 mm.

Thought is to move the meter to allow me to t-off from 25mm to extension to prevent too much pressure drop to extension.The secondary meter was to recoup what a tenant would use should I decide to let it

I pay £40 per month for water and thats metered. £90 a month before meter fitted (ex guest house).

How does moling work?

I am not trying to bypass anything or save a few pennies. I just think that the reg stating that I have to have an independant supply to the property is unfair. Surely accepting the pressure drop should be down to me, the property is never going to be sold seperately. I will pay what ever it takes but not be robbed by a big brother monopoly like the water board run by Dick Turpins.

:mad:

Hypnoman said:
I will pay what ever it takes but not be robbed by a big brother monopoly like the water board run by Dick Turpins.
:mad:

The Water Co may have a monopoly, but because of that it is closely regulated by Ofwat. This is a harder environment to operate in than a free market because competitors don't usually have access to your books and carry the power to audit any of your processes.

Water Co's undergo what is called simulated competition, whereby different parts of the businesses are monitored and ranked in a league table against the other Water Co's. If they perform badly then it is deemed that in a competetive market they would lose custom, and internal budgets are capped by Ofwat, profits are ordered to be re-invested and effeciency measures are enforced. Price rises are limited for poorly performing companies.

I just think that the reg stating that I have to have an independant supply to the property is unfair.
It is also unfair that people will carve up a property into smaller units, for the purposes of profit, and don't spend the necessary money to ensure that an adequate level of service is received by the occupiers. I deal with properties all the time where the level of flow is inadequate, and things are done on the cheap so that the "Dick Turpin" landlord can make a few extra pounds.

doitall said:
Without being rude, but what the hell are you on.

Have you seen the price of water lately ? my last bill was 93.45p per cubic meter.

From 29/07/06 to 26/01/07 the volume charge was £1.86, and the standing charge was £14.46 or £16.32 for 6 months water.

s. :LOL:
that`s cheap per cu. meter :rolleyes: come to sunny Sussex and live in a cave/prefab, boyo ;)

why not save your money
read the meter when either your section is on holidays or the "annex"

then all you need do is check the reading from 12.00 the day they go away to 12.00 before they return [13 days for example]
then read the meter for the same 13 days [saturday to friday for example] subtract the difference [33% for example]then you know they need to pay 30% of the water /disposal /standing charge
do the same when you go on holiday to double check
but dont tell the tennant what your doing or they go on an economy drive to save water to reduce there share off the bill when your away

do this every time one whole group goes on holiday to keep the percentages up to date

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back