Water Metre - total newbie question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, first time poster and a plumbing numpty so go easy...

Can someone tell me if the small dial on my water metre should constantly be slowly moving?

I had a leaky toilet cistern valve fixed yesterday and thought that would stop my metre dials from moving but the smallest dial (x0.0001) is still noticeably moving, though not as fast as it was. I have no other water running at this time and I've checked that the toilet cistern is no longer filling.

So should this small dial always be moving or do I still have running water somewhere?

I think I know the answer to this but wondered if some of the good folk here can confirm for me.

TIA.

Sponsored Links
any taps dripping? (inside or out)
toilet fill and header tank ball cocks shutting off completely?
failing that, maybe a minor leak somewhere? (internal or underground)

start with the easiest to track down, turn off your internal stop cock, still spinning? possibly a leak on the pipe between stop cock and meter (unless the stop cock is letting by)

should also be a stop cock on the water meter, think it's usually a triangle shaped hole and there should be a key attached to turn it.
stopped at the meter and it should stop spinning regardless unless the meter is faulty?...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back