Waterproof furniture board. Does it exist?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to make a built in bathroom cabinet that also boxes in a toilet cistern. It will be floor to ceiling so the base will get wet when the floor is cleaned.

I really don’t want to use normal furniture board. Melamine backed chipboard does not last very long in the wet conditions.

I can’t find anything suitable. Does anyone know of any suitable products?

Sponsored Links

It's a highly compressed laying of paper and resin, faced with a textured, patterned finish and the edges are a complementary colour that is polished by a progressively finder sanding. Can be cut and drilled with normal tools but I used a local water jet cutting company to do mine as the cabinet I designed was quite complex, with tabs to lock it all together

Goes by various brand names, but if you see thin worktop, circa half an inch, it will probably be this stuff. Try Googling for "thin worktop", "compact laminate worktop" or "solid compact worktop"

Last edited:
i used MR MDF and painted
made it a sort of shaker style - see image

on a kitchen where i had water (floor cleaning , and a couple of coffee pots which did not fill but went over the floor and behind the cabinets) caused issues with the 2 of the side panels which were chipboard expanded.
I replaced them and used a few coats of Zinsser BIN to seal in the MDF at the bottom and then painted - lasted quite a few years with no issues , before we moved house.

Attachments

• IMG_0324.jpeg
    IMG_0324.jpeg
    283 KB · Views: 63

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back