wax capsule diverter valve

5TIMES

hello lads,

can any of you pls explain fully & in plain english how these work,(wax capsule diverter valve) as iv been told so much crap over the years!!

cheers

;)

Sponsored Links
The only ones I knew of were on Myson Midas combis. I think they restricted the dhw flow until the primary side warmed up, and then increased the dhw flow rate.

Like the one on a Puma?

The wax capsule expands and contracts which moves the diverter from ch to hw. Just like a diaphragm does. The expansion and contraction is controlled by mains water movement over it. That's why it's important to make sure there are no dripping taps with one of these boilers or it'll stick in hot water position.

You might already know this much but i've never needed to know anymore than this :D maybe someone else can be a bit more indepth.

Cheers andy

sometimes you can look to deep into things i suppose.. and make things complicated!

;)

Sponsored Links
They were used on Potty Puma and on Vaillant Sine 18 boilers.

No others that I know of.

Tony

there's a wax capsule valve on the ideal classic combi, albeit only 2 way. When there's a demand for heating the boiler fires up and runs and when the capsule heats up it opens and lets the heat out to the rads. Not sure what its there for tbh!

... and probably not on the Midas. I think I meant the Puma.

The Midas and Puma were both over-complicated.

Whilst the Puma is an odd and unusual design, I have always thought the Midas was a very simple concept.

The fact that there are still a few still working rather proves that such a simple design was a good idea. But it was an expensive way to build a boiler with two pumps.

Tony

I thought the hot wire anemometer rather an overkill, compared with a simple air pressure switch. I installed a couple, and moved on.

Not sure of the connection of that with wax capsules.

However, it was a very good idea, cheap and reliable!

Its not generally known, but they are actually a cooker igniter element designed to work on a 1.5v dry battery! Unfortunately that part is no longer available. A friend still has that old model of cooker!

Tony

I was referring to the hot wire anemometer in a Myson Midas boiler, not a glow coil igniter as fitted on some other boilers or cookers.

There is a difference, and as you say, we stray from the point.

No, the unit you refer to ( if its the same or similar to the one used on the Lynx ) is actually a cooker ignition unit !

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back