Wax covered router bits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just taken delivery of a new 1/4" plunge router (couldn't justify a 1/2"!).

To go with my new toy... I mean tool... I also bought a set of router bits, opened the box and noticed they are all covered in a transparent wax. Obviously this serves 2 purposes: check no-one uses a bit and then tries to take it back, and to stop router novices like myself going "Ooooh, Roman Ogee!", grabbing hold of a bit and slicing fingers open.

However, I was wondering: do I need to get all the wax off before I can use a bit, or can I just use the bit on some scrap to wear the wax off? If I need to clean it off, how do I do it?

Sponsored Links
i have only ever had router bits with with a soft plasticy rubbery coating that peels of easily leaving an oily coating on the cutter
all i ever do is wipe with a bit of kitchen roll to remove the oil any oil remaining will be removed by the first few feet of cutting

now go and enjoy your new toy and dont forget practice practice practice dont try and cut off to much at one time :D :D :D :D ;)

1. Fit to router
2. Plug in router
3. Don goggles
4. Turn on
5. Watch pieces of wax fly off in all directions as the cutter rotates at ludicrous RPM!
6. Smile in a childish manner!!!

7. Ignore this post cos I was only kidding... :oops:

Sponsored Links
8 ) I'm so going to do that anyway! :LOL:

I actually have NO idea how to use a router, or a circular saw (I bought one of them too... DAMN YOU SCREWFIX!!! :LOL: ). But the same was true of angle grinders when I bought one, and I had a lot of fun with that.:cool:

The only time I have seen a router used was that property programme where that guy with the really REALLY fit wife does up a house with the help of his mates... Jamie and Amanda Cussins, I think? Anyway, he seemed to be using a router in a very unmanly fashion... :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back