Weak pilot light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's on a Flavel gas fire.

I had two engineers look at it. They both cleaned it out and one of them replaced the thermocouple but the flame is still very weak. What do you think might be causing it?

Sponsored Links
The fire is a Flavel Calibre Balanced Flue Brass FBFC1SRN3.

It would be fair to say that it's been doing my head in. Cleaning the pilot should normally fix the problem, but not in this case.

Sponsored Links
whatever you do dont go trying to clean the pilot injector with a pin or anything other than proper pilot injector cleaners, the orifice is exact and any alteration will result in a large pilot flame and will lift off

I really appreciate your advice, Ian. Could you point me in the direction of a suitable pilot injector cleaner?

I've already spent nearly £200 paying engineers not to fix this fire. Blowing out the soot allows the fire to light and stay lighted, but only for a week or so until the soot starts to build up again. Yet as far as the engineers were concerned they had fixed it. If only!

I really appreciate your advice, Ian. Could you point me in the direction of a suitable pilot injector cleaner?

I've already spent nearly £200 paying engineers not to fix this fire. Blowing out the soot allows the fire to light and stay lighted, but only for a week or so until the soot starts to build up again. Yet as far as the engineers were concerned they had fixed it. If only!
you should not be getting soot building up something wrong if there is .
Balanced flue flame effect fires should always be turned on high for the first 10/15 minutes to get everything hot before turning it down this stops little bits of soot forming on the coals

Of course I was only guessing that soot was the reason. Already after getting the fire 'repaired' again yesterday it takes two attempts to get it to light.

As @gas112 says you shouldnt be getting soot forming, something else is wrong, doesnt have to be anything major can be something simple, and as advised run on high for a bit to start with

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back