Weekly rate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before I get flamed for breaking one of the forum rules, this is just a generisation and I'm not after true prices.

I guess one of the main reasons we do DIY is to save on the labor that professional tradesmen charge. Having just installed 7 new radiators in our house, and kept a record of the cost of all the parts I used down to the last 15mm tee ! (sad aint I :) ). I also logged the actual hours I spent "on the job". A total of 39 hours was spent actually "plumbing" and was wondering what most professional plumbers would charge for a weeks labour (ball park figure) so I can see just how much I've saved :)

Malc

Sponsored Links
I dont think its very relevant how long YOU took!

A professional would do any work much quicker than a DIYer.

As a budgetary price I quote £300 per rad to supply and fit as part of a new central heating system in the London area.

Thats obviously adjusted if there is any special aspect to be taken into account.

Tony

Tony, thanks for your comments.

I had a couple of quotes for the work prior to taking on the project myself, and both stated that I would be looking at either two guys for 3 days, or one guy on his own wanted to allow a week, so I'm quite chuffed that the actual time i spent was within their estimated times (just that I spread this over three weekends !)

And you would be paying for their wasted time coming to see the job and not getting it!

We never go to look at jobs free!

We just give budgetary prices over the phone.

Tony

Sponsored Links
That's your perogative (sp), but both offered free no obligation estimates, and i guess that it goes with the terretory that not all quotes are converted to sales. Although the chap on his own didn't get the work he has done jobs for me in the past, and was cool when I informed him what I intended to do. I would of offered him the job if it hadn't been down to several personal issues which forced me to cut the spending budget.

For me, I'm far more likely to book someone who has taken the trouble to coem round and see the task rather than a chap who simply quotes ballpark over the phone. Whilst I accept that charging for your time to undertake an estimate might mean that someone is actually serious about employing a contractor rather than a DIY job, as the general advice is to seek three quotes this would mean throwing money away if they all charged ?

Malc

One quickish plumber can put in 7 rads in a day, with copper pipework, soldered fittings and the boards screwed back down. Would only need a hand shifting furniture.

At that speed some people are cutting corners, but others do everything by the book and neatly. It does rely on everything beng on site. Good people aren't cheap. An average-rate man might take 2 days.

How much you get charged though, depends on the market rate, and not costs-plus!

Wow - 7 rads in a day :eek:

I take your point, and working on Tony's £300 per rad that would work out at £2100, which funny enough is bang in the middle of the two quotes - Humm... that would mean a quick plumber could be turning over around £5300 per week :eek: :LOL: :LOL:

Malc

I charge £280-300/day + VAT depending whether it is close to me or not and would allow 5 days for this size job.

I charge £280-300/day + VAT depending whether it is close to me or not and would allow* 5 days* for this size job.
Thank goodnesss you said that :eek: cus that`s what I used to take , back in 1980 :LOL: I wish I had £1 for every 7aday plumber I`ve seen or heard of ...I`d be even richer :LOL:

Recently been on a council refurb site, the plumbers there for one firm do the following a day, either :

1 of level 3 plumber + 1 of level 2 plumber and 1 apprentice, remove existing system including all rads,boiler and pipework. Refit Combi new rads and circs (7Rads),new gas, new hot and cold, all copper no plastic fantastic, flush test commision, make good, all for £200 a day(except apprentice)

1 of level 3 plumber, remove bathroom, 1st and 2nd fix new suite(bath,sink and wc). 2nd fix kitchen sink. 3 of these a day. plus snags £230

All of which is every day, 5 days a week. Has been for a year and will continue for another 4.

Not my cup of tea.

I done a 7 rad and combi installation last week.I dont have anyone to help me , so i have to move furniture ,lift carpets etc. I look to stay the first day until ive got the upstairs rads in,got drops in,gas supply in new boiler area and dropped by metre cupboard.I hang downstairs rads and as last week was all drops (3) sets i left at 6pm and i had 2 rads left to pipe.I was there from 8.30am - 5pm day 2 and i had rads in,boiler and flue in,cylinder out,cold changed over,gas in,boiler piped and i done the electric side as well ,even if it is just a s/spare and 7 earth straps.I finished the job at 3 pm day 3 ,so i charged £2.990,the materials cost around £1.100.a worcester 24i junior cond,7 rads,etc.so £1.800 is around the profit made.I had a combi change as well on friday and they wanted new trv's and p/flush. I charged £1.850 ,spent £700,so another£1.150,and with 5 repairs as well on thu and sat,i made £350.so 6 days £3.300,so£550 a day,last week,this week,i can see upto now £250 max a day,in the summer i was ok apart from august were i must have averaged £120 a day. I know we think its not good £120 a day but if i said to the lad next door ,my age and hes got 3 kids to my 1,and he gives them a good life on his wage as a bus driver,maybe im wrong but if i said to him "£120 a day,every day this year,hed jump at it"

Fair play to you grafters.......at the end of the day it`s how big your mortgage is ....mines £000.00 so I do sweet F.A :LOL:

bOBBO85 not bad 250 a day so far this week considering you spent half of yesterday and today on here posting.. Also can you give a more in detail breakdown of how you got a worcester 24i 7 rads 6 trvs room stat ,clock the usual 2 bundles of 15, 1 of 22 fittings ,inhibitor,filling loop etc etc for £1100 inc.. Rads would have to be tiny

must be a heat pack and materials left over from the last job.

bOBBO85 not bad 250 a day so far this week considering you spent half of yesterday and today on here posting..
He clones himself. As well as bobbo85 he's also hi-spec and ajs , not to mention rudeboy when he sends abusive emails. Every time I expose him he comes back with a new name. In short I wouldn't believe a word he says.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back