Weep vents?

Thanks Woody. Really useful just one thing to add in that corner is the waste down pipe from the bathroom. Although I am doubtful this is a cause as when I dug up the ground for the acos it wasn't really wet. So if there was a leaking pipe I would assume the ground I was digging up would be wet.

Honestly I want to stop worrying about it. As long as the bricks can taken that moisture I would be ok. It just seems so weird. I thought the acos would be the solve.

Sponsored Links
I would have thought the water penetration would be mostly through the vertical joints in a brick wall

I would have thought the water penetration would be mostly through the vertical joints in a brick wall

I'd agree but the wall coverage is probably 80% brick so its got to make some difference.

Either way the bricks will be fine you may find once the weather picks up especially if its south facing it dries up but it will only be temporary depending on the weather but may put your mind at ease.

Sponsored Links
It's North facing and gets no sunlight. So it will take someme I think.

Thanks everyone for the help.

No. The frost resistance rating is not a measure of water absorbency and the two are not related.
Correct, although many people would think that an absorbant brick would be likely to suffer from frost. The BDA did state there is no connection between the 2.
Also a less absorbant can allow more water penetrarion into the cavity (known as the Raincoat/Overcoat effect).

Answer has been sort. The base of the patio is retaining moisture and has not been construced properly. You can tell by the 2 tone colour of the slabs.

It will probably need to come up. They are Marshall slabs. This is making the wall wet.

Attachments

• 20180322_060333.jpg
    20180322_060333.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 110
Answer has been sort. The base of the patio is retaining moisture and has not been construced properly. You can tell by the 2 tone colour of the slabs.

It will probably need to come up. They are Marshall slabs. This is making the wall wet.
No, I refer you back to my previous comment
I've just realise you have an entire 3 page thread where everyone is telling you this is fine, and you've still shelled out money on a non problem and are planning to spend even more?
Do yourself a favour and find something else to worry about. Don't spend a penny more on this.
You can now add these two pages to the previous three.

John, do you know what. I am going to do what you said. I am just going to leave this. Its making me unwell! I can't stop thinking about this stupid patio. I have shelled out so much on it. I am going to take you advice. Which is wait, let it dry and see what happens. It was laid at the end of September, so has only ever experienced wet, horrible conditions. It sits on clay and is mainly north facing.

I think the consensus is, that the bricks shouldn't be wet. However, being wet isn't going to cause any damage as they should be strong enough bricks to take it. If the problem does not go, or the patio does not dry out, then maybe take further action. However, even this is probably not necessary as it is more cosmetic than anything else.

I am sorry I have gone about this one. I am grateful to the people on this site, you have been super helpful and have given me lot's of insightful information.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back