Welder Question ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could anyone give me some tips on what sort of welder i would need for joining mesh panels to each other.These are quite small gauge panels and i would guess at 2mm wires.Would it be a spot welder ?

thanks.

Sponsored Links
You could use a spot welder, but sometimes access is awkward, depending on the size of the throat span.
A MIG welder would be good too, but you've a hell of a task if the mesh is small and there's lots to do!
What project have you in mind?
John :)

Sealey mightmig 150.
Can be used with gas or flux coated wire.

MIG would be easiest I'd have thought. If you're doing it all day every day you'll want a more professional machine. Just occasional use one of the "hobby" type machines will probably do. I've got a Clarke which is OK. "Gasless" wire is handy if you need to weld outside.
If you're using gas, the small disposable cylinders of gas don't last long if you're using it much. A refillable bottle of some kind is the answer.
You'll probably want an automatically darkening welding mask as well.
You don't say what sort of mesh it is? Weld mesh? Why do you need to weld it directly together? It's usual (in my admittedly not vast experience from some years ago) to frame "sheets" of it with angle iron or box section and put strengthening bars across the frames as well if they're much more than a couple of feet wide, as it gets pretty sort of floppy. Depends what it's for of course. So you could weld the mesh to the strengthening with short runs or "tacks". If you're making smaller box guards or something then bend it where possible and again use frames on the ends, even if it's only folded angle. gives you something to weld to.
Obvious really, but I wouldn't weld the wires together at right angles, ie horizontal to vertical. Be like knitting fog I'd have thought.
I'd weld two vertical or horizontal wires together side by side using short runs of weld as often as needed.
As always how you finally decide to do it will be down to you.
Final thought. If you're doing anything apart from the occasional bit of welding on uncoated mild steel, also if you're doing any welding at all on stainless and galvanised to name just a couple of the other common materials that need special precautions, you need to look at getting the right ventilation, extraction and/or breathing gear. You'll have to check on the exact requirements. There's something about it here http://www.hse.gov.uk/welding/fume-extraction-rpe.htm

Sponsored Links
Hi.
Thanks for the replies and this is what i need to weld together.
About 200 of these square mesh boxes welded together in 8 banks of 25.
Just a few spot welds on each so just need a cheapish welder.
thanks. View media item 89202

It has to be the MIG then.....the no gas type if the fabrication has to be done outside.
What size is the mesh, just for interest?
As Dave recommends, an auto darken helmet is a must......you'll wonder how you did without one if you have the ordinary type.

What John says. Beware of the very cheapest types of welders you see for sale. Apart from actual quality, a lot of them have a "live" torch. Which means it's live all the time. Less easy to use.
Looks like quite a job. Even if they're small, 200 boxes is 1600 edges to cut/ weld.

I'm sure that would do fine.....the only thing I can't see is the current regulation (maybe this is a clone of the Clarke Machine Mart products though).
It will certainly weld more than you need, with 100A.
Is your mesh galvanised by any chance? If it is, it'll ruin the weld until it's gone, and gas you while it's doing it :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back