Were scratching our heads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there all, got a bit of a problem today, happily testing some flats when doing my earth loops on a small rcd protected CU with my newly purchased Robin Loop/PSC tester (with d-lock) fried the main rcd in the board. the board and rcd tested out fine before now its fried. it doesn't even trip with the test button now. we've tested out the installation and the tester is new and working fine, we have done 7 flats previous to this one and all checked out. thinking it maybe a faulty RCD we replaced and re tested and it did the same again, before i ship off my new testers to the robin hospital has this happened anyone bofore and what was the problem, is its something staring us straight in the face if it is you can give me an E-Slap and shake me but please give us a clue..

thanks.

Sponsored Links
I don't understand what you can do to an RCD that would "fry" it.

Except maybe put 415v through it, or do an insulation test with it connected.

my point exactly, i pluged in the Loop tester, clicked the test button, there was a low buzz from the CU and it gave me a reading of 0.37 then my junilec shouted me in and the RCD was smoking. we had an emotional burial before fitting a new one they we brutally murdered the second. i've had to fit a double pole isolater new to finish testing on the flat and every result is text book.

Was it a wylex RCD by any chance?

Save it, and contact the manufacturers of the tester.

They might be interested to see it.

Sponsored Links
i know, i've sent a message to the robin tech guys to see if they have come accross this before, my dads a 40 year time served sparky and he has no answers either. replaced it with a new one again yesterday and its tested out fine, so did all the other flats so why just those 2 rcd's ???? i might send them back to manufacturer for answers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back