Were tools better in the 80s?

I used my old wolf 2310 it goes at 1050 revs perfect speed for putting big augers into green oak and sadly mixing plaster ,funny its only rated at 475 w but seems to have as much power as an 750w drill pleasure to use.

Sponsored Links
does anyone remember the big wolf drill that looked like thunderbird 2 ,great bit of kit once used one to drill through 3-4 ft of jara no problem.

does anyone remember the big wolf drill that looked like thunderbird 2 ,great bit of kit once used one to drill through 3-4 ft of jara no problem.

I've still got one of those too. Never been used much. Can't remember offhand what the power rating is, not particularly high IIRC but I know that like your other drill it seems very powerful. It feels smooth and well engineered too. Heavy though!
I'd guess it's from the 60s sometime.

Sponsored Links
Were they better? Maybe. I'm still using an Elu MOF177e router built in the mid 1980s (model still sold as the deWalt DW625) as well as an Elu MOF96e (still available, modified, as the deWalt DW615). Some other 1980s tools are still around, like the deWalt DW621 (Elu MOF97e).

For the most part, though, modern tools I use feed less vibration back into my hands, putting off the day when I get vibration white finger, they come with constant-speed electronics, have much better dust extraction and modern cordless stuff with brushless motors and Li-Ion batteries is streets ahead of its 1980s equivalents. There are also loads of tools around now which we couldn't get back then (at least not affordably) - large sliding double bevel compound mitre saws, multi tools, low-cost accurate laser levels, laser rangefinders, gas nailers to fix to metal, etc. Not all progress is bad, even if the industrial stuff now doesn't seem to be as durable.

Hired out a Hilti TE 3000 avr demolition breaker yesterday.
68 joules of impact energy. :LOL:
Never seen anything in the eighties perform like this thing.

True. The nearest you'd get was a Kango. Somewhere in the region of 20 to 25 Joules?

I have a Hilti TP800 --it is excellent.
Bought it 20 years ago second hand. I have broken up 6'' concrete slabs with it- no problem at all. :)

I have a old elu router bought second hand from a mate, I am pretty sure its laminate trimmer No MKF 67 made in swizerland it has a big base and one post I don't do much laminate trimming these days but its blinding for letting in hinges with the big base,it runs smooth as silk ,if I had to upgrade to modern standards it would be a new on of switch with safety apart from that its the dogs doowis

Ok- heres one for aficianados

Who ON Here- has a compass plane ( Like I do).
Only been out of its box a few times (last time almost 10 years ago).
Cost me £180 :cry:

ps- I'd bet not many have one and even more people wont know what one is .

Ok- heres one for aficianados

Only been out of its box a few times (last time almost 10 years ago).
Cost me £180 :cry:

ps- I'd bet not many have one and even more people wont know what one is .

I bought one like new off a bloke on a car boot stall for £50 (if I remember right, I know it was a bargain anyway). Like you I've hardly ever used it. Don't know if it's me, but it seems to have a life of it's own, and the chatter marks it leaves if you're not careful are a pain to get out. I prefer an old fashioned wooden spokeshave, followed by a scraper for curved work.

It's like a lot of the more esoteric hand tools though, you buy them and then hardly ever use them. Anyone else have a side rebate plane? Handy sometimes.

I have a old elu router bought second hand from a mate, I am pretty sure its laminate trimmer No MKF 67
Snap! Me too (and miine's a 110 volter). Brilliant machine for a few tasks (like rounding over edges). DW actually put it back in production a few years back as the DW609.

I do. Can't remember how much is cost me, but it was secondhand when I bought it in the 1970s. Still on the original blade. Last time I used it was about 6 months ago when I had to do some on-site adjustments to a couple of barrel topped windows which had bee delivered a tad big for the opening. Even then I could probably have done the job with a belt sander. And yes, they do chatter like crazy unless a very shallow cut is taken and the blade is razor sharp

Anyone else have a side rebate plane? Handy sometimes.
Me again! They were useful back when I had to do a lot of housed joints (remember them?). These days nobody uses housings except on stairs, although it still comes in handy at times on refurbs in the same way that my shoulder rebate plane does.

With "old fart" tools like those I think I'm showing my age :LOL:

hammers were great for putting nails in in the 80s ,Isaw a tetanium one for over £200 a bit ironic.and who wants a light weight hammer?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back