Were tools better in the 80s?

Yes I have mine razor sharp, and set very fine but it still chatters. Most of the work I used to do was oak though, so I'm not really surprised. Mine's one of the later ones, 80s I'd guess (Going vaguely back on topic. :)) I haven't used it for a while, but IIRC the steel of the blade is nothing to get excited about. Didn't want to hold much of an edge.
I used to make furniture, so I used to use the side rebate occasionally, as you say to fit housings, and a shoulder plane quite a lot, tenons always need a clean up fr fine work.
As you say. Old fart tools! :)

Sponsored Links
hammers were great for putting nails in in the 80s ,Isaw a tetanium one for over £200 a bit ironic.and who wants a light weight hammer?
Actually, have you tried one? They rebound a lot less than a conventional steel hammer so you put a lot less stress into the arm and shoulder. probably not important over here, but in the USA where a largish percentage of houses are nailed together from timber on site it's probably significant. I was persuaded by the Stanley rep to buy a new lightweight welded steel hammer last year after somebody filched my old Steelmaster (bought in the 1980s.....) - it weighs only 15 oz, but takes less force to drive nails than a 20oz Estwing. Works for me

Sponsored Links
hammers were great for putting nails in in the 80s ,Isaw a tetanium one for over £200 a bit ironic.and who wants a light weight hammer?
Actually, have you tried one? They rebound a lot less than a conventional steel hammer so you put a lot less stress into the arm and shoulder. probably not important over here, but in the USA where a largish percentage of houses are nailed together from timber on site it's probably significant. I was persuaded by the Stanley rep to buy a new lightweight welded steel hammer last year after somebody filched my old Steelmaster (bought in the 1980s.....) - it weighs only 15 oz, but takes less force to drive nails than a 20oz Estwing. Works for me

Interesting technology much more than 20Oz can be a killer

Has anyone used a 'scorrock' though ???. :)
Though my mind was playing tricks and that I'd seen that word elsewhere on this forum. I had...... here - although there was no real explanation there, either. So, just what is it???

I will tell you tomorrow.
I have used a scorrock many many times .Always makes a hard job easy.
Yes- it is a Lancashire term/tool.
Off to bed now - have a early 10am start tommorow :) -- long 4 hour days work to do. :cry:

You watch. It'll be summat daft like a spoon......

Its actually spelt "Scorrick" and means a morsel or minute portion.
So its not a tool. Only tool here is Mrperfect spelling it wrong. :LOL: :LOL:

My 18v De Walt hammer drill and both my 14v De Walt drills are both working well after almost 20 years of regular use, and my 240v Elu planer is too !
I did have a problem with my 18v De Walt drill when the trigger went wrong - however it was repaired free of charge despite being over 15 years old at the time..
Not sure anything bought today would last as long or be repaired FOC...

Screwdrivers were definitely made better in the 80s. Ive gone through about ten phillips heads(keep rounding off) and a few usual ones in the last 5 years(keep them all for stirring paint or poking stuff). These are usually made in Germany, which Im starting to equate with made in China. A German petrol chainsaw and a wok also bit the dust early on.

My old man gave me his old Snap On(made in US) screwdriver with all the bits hidden in the handle, so you can change the bits without changing the screwdriver and this has already outlasted the German crap without needing any new bits yet, he has had this screwie for about 30 years and never had to buy a new bit.

Snap on are extreme high quality and also the most expensive tool you will ever buy and only sold from the back of a van.
And guranteed for life.
Because they are so expensive means they tend to only fall into the hands of professional mechanics who want the best.
And also they will be looked after so breakages rarly occur but when they do you just hand them back to the van agent and he will hand you the replacement foc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back