Wet plaster in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've recently moved into an old council terraced house. There is a downstairs bathroom that once had a shower in, but was taken out but the previous owners.

Near the toilet, there is a hole which seems to contain some piping that appears to lead a few inches out to an exterior wall. On the exterior side there is a small hole that is partially filled in with concrete. The two holes appear to be connected - I sprayed deodorant through the hole from one side and my girlfriend could immediately smell it in the bathroom.

The problem I have is that the pipe is damp and the interior plasterboard around is damp. Damp enough to break away very easily. Would the job be as simple as fully filling the exterior hole and leaving the pipe to dry, pulling off the damp plaster and repairing? Or would it require something more?

Just to slightly complicate things, there is a second bathroom above the downstairs bathroom. Outside the downstairs bathroom is some boxing which I think contains piping from the bathroom above and the problem pipe *may* have something to do with the boxing. Like I say, when I sprayed deodorant through, the smell was quite strong so I think it just leads outside.

Any help would be appreciated as I'm a first time owner trying to get my head around DIY and would definitely rather not pay for a plumber if its a basic issue.

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back