wet room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
built a wet room and it needs tiling, plumber says it needs a special kind of membrane painting on before tiling is this so

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I use fibreglass matt and resin over a 3/4" ply floor for tanking the wet room floor. I take this about 5 inches up the wall to reinforce the corners. The walls I use tile cement based tile backing boards if stud walling or render in concrete if a solid wall.

Interested in other methods though. Had a look at the aquatecnic site and it looks interesting what do you think the advantages would be over my method?

Ben

Chappers

I have the kit from Aquatechnic and will very soon be sorting my wetroom on the 3rd floor of my Victorian semi. I have the waste sorted and plan to use 25mm ply to make the base as this will not flex, but I need to allow for the fall to the waste which I belive 1 in 100 is enough. So how do I get that fall into my base? do I use a screed under the ply to create the fall?

Sorry if I am highjackin the thread a little but it is relivent I think.

Sponsored Links
I've used the fibreglass method, including resin as a waterproofing medium on plaster, using sikaflex as tile adhesive, but that aquatecnic looks good. Anyone got a guide on price?

I have a 25mm ply floor laid to falls. you could just use firrings (tapered battens) on the subfloor. I used short studwork/noggins underneath, but I have a huge floor void.

more in this thread

edited above link to correct it

So are you saying that you took up the floor boards and put your marine ply straight onto the floor joists? i plan to lay the shower floor ontop of the fllor boards and use the different levels between the shower floor and the bathroom floor as a final trap to keep the water in the shower area.

the only problem with using fibreglass resin is that it is not waterproof it is actually the gel coat that provides the waterproof barrier.The resin is used to give strength combined with the matt

Hi Stebed
My situation is a bit weird - I'm doing a church conversion and I have a whole new floor that is a couple of feet above an existing floor, giving me the floor void. I built short studwork off the old floor, under each joint in the ply, and laid firrings ontop of the stud to make the fall.
If the existing floor is sound, I was just suggesting that firrings under the ply, maybe on top of the existing floor boards, was an easier way to get the fall than using a screed...

Wonderdust - you're quite right about the fibreglass - the actual glass fibres make tiny holes in the resin when you sand it off smooth, so water can leak through. because I was sticking mosaic tiles on top of the fibreglass, rather than gel coat, I used flo coat to seal it all - its pretty much the same stuff, but gel coat has wax in to help make a smooth shiny surface; the flo coat remains everso slightly tacky, but the adhesive sticks better.

I rang aquatechnic and the price for the small wetroom kit is £99 + VAT. Covers a 12m2 area with 15 linear metres of edging.

Pie Man can you explain what a firring is please, I guess it is some type of bead?

Thanks

Tapered pieces of timber laid on joists to provide an fall, my timber merchant sell them pre-made for flat roof or you can have it cut to the size you want.

i am in the final stage of fitting a wet room and used the aquatec wet room kit and it works a treat. This is the second wet room I have completed and in the first one I used the BAY kit which has been fine but not a touch on the Aquatec kit.

My shower base is in effect 3 layers of 18mm marine ply and has a fall of 1.5cm over 1m. Use the pre-made corners from aquatec as they make the job so easy.

Also the 12m2 coverage is on the generous side I would expect you could easily make it go a lot further.

if you need any more info just shout.

Dux

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back