What’s going on with the standard of plumbers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently got my bathroom refurbished, a plumber came to tighten up some pipes, I used my bath then, in the kitchen a pool of water came though the lights. Also, this plumber went into the loft and put the water pressure too low. I called him back and he denied everything and said that was not his version of events. I am fed up of shoddy workmanship

Sponsored Links
A big problem with a lot of bathrooms is cheap shoddy materials .

I can't see how doing anything in the loft would alter the water pressure unless you've got a pressure reducing valve up there. Would be unusual to adjust it though.

Why would a plumber come to tighten up pipes?

Do plumbers use compression joints much?

or were these existing?

Sponsored Links
Why would a plumber come to tighten up pipes?

Do plumbers use compression joints much?

or were these existing?
It was an existing pipe, but he failed to tighten it properly and when I ran the bath the water was just leaking out of it, and flooded the bathroom and water came through the kitchen light, luckily it didn’t cause any problems but it’s not the point and could have been much worse

complacency and a need to fulfill expected earnings . debt accrued being the big I am in shiny new transits not yet paid for . A far bigger issue than shoddy materials.

Easy enough to speculate and we only have your word for it. Could be a crap plumber, could be a fast track one, could be inexperienced.

Lets spin this.

What Is Going On With The Standard Of Customers.

You all know the type, those that want to do part of the job before we attend to make life easier for us or want to supply all the gear, those that want to interfere or borrow tools to tighten something somewhere, those who question you with how, where or when, those that wont lock their dog in another room and so the list goes on.

One sniff of these type and Im packed up and gone.

+1 for that Just Pumps. I also notice almost daily there are pleas on the local Social Media pages for someone or something 'cheap', as there is usually some kind of back sob story as to why they haven't got much money.

I get that, but we're all facing the same issues with the cost of living, my hard won pay rise is simply going straight back out again to pay the higher bills. Think back to the 70's and we managed with what we had and what my Parents could afford. They only had a part CH system put in as that was all they had the money for, I have vivid memories of waking up to a thick layer of ice on the inside of the window. Cheap Plumber, cheap carpets, cheap holiday lets, list goes on. Even get those telling us what they are prepared to pay as 'thats all its worth' for what they deem an hours work or whatever. Never mind transport to get self and tools there....

They dont like it when they get told 'Buy cheap, buy twice'.....

I get that times are hard and likely to get worse however if I do agree to let customers purchase the gear on their CC then I do get narked when they order a cheaper item because "It does the same job and was cheaper!"
Dont get me started on local social media sites such as Nextdoor, every post mentions cheap.

Well, you get what you pay for :sneaky:

Yes, and they then come on bleating they've been left in a mess, job half finished etc, and want everyone to feel sorry for them and some Mug to give up their time to sort it all out properly as the previous Guy has taken all their money and left them to pi$$ in a bucket.... :rolleyes:

Yes, and they then come on bleating they've been left in a mess, job half finished etc, and want everyone to feel sorry for them and some Mug to give up their time to sort it all out properly as the previous Guy has taken all their money and left them to pi$$ in a bucket.... :rolleyes:
I may be a black heartened bar steward then because I wont be that mug.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back