What’s going on with the standard of plumbers?

Sponsored Links
My two penneth. Using a 'cheap' tradesman doesn't guarantee a lousy job, any more than using an expensive one guarantees a good job. And yes, some customers are just not worth working for. :)
Spot on everyone has got different overheads and also work at different speeds the fast good tradesman might be a lot cheaper than the slower shyte tradesmnan

Forget about the standard.
Here in London you'll be lucky to find someone to do the job!
I don't know what happened during the lockdown, but now a lot of traders don't even show up to have a look.
That includes plumbers, electricians, plasterers, kitchen fitters, carpenters and don't get me started on roofers: impossible to get one.
Everybody seems to have gone into decorating.
Then of course, the few who actually do the work, show up on time and do as you would expect, are free to charge whatever they want.
My friend is a gas safe plumber and I had an gas pipe blocked off because it was sticking out of the wall and the 22 pipe going to the boiler rerouted to be on a straight line.
£240 for 45 minutes work and no material apart from flux and solder for 2 joints.
And he's my friend!
He said that people are desperate so he's now recovering all he lost in 2 years covid and previously when he had to charge cheap because lots of cowboys were pricing him out.
I wonder: where are all these professionals working if it's so difficult even to contact them???
Ah, just as another example, my plumber friend after my job was going to replace a heat exchanger on a boiler: 1 and half hour labour and £100 part for £500 cash.
That's an astonishing hourly rate, even considering all expenses traders have.

Sponsored Links
Johnny, your Plumber is no friend of yours. I had an emergency callout for my friends daughter, she was not charged. Even my mate wanted to pay me, I explained that's what friends are for.

Andy
I thought of that because in previous years he used to charge me very little and sometimes for quick jobs he wouldn't charge at all.
They've now realised that there are very few professionals who bother to work and so they charge over the top.
What could i possibly do?
When this plumber was on holiday I tried to get an emergency plumber for my friend's flat (rented out, he lives in kent).
I made a dozen telephone calls and couldn't get anyone.
A couple of them promised to attend and they didn't.
I ended up with the only option to call one of the big firms and they charged £900 for a new pump which costs £450.
15 minutes labour.
This is where we are today in London.

Johnny, your Plumber is no friend of yours. I had an emergency callout for my friends daughter, she was not charged. Even my mate wanted to pay me, I explained that's what friends are for.

Andy
Works the other way too though, mate calls in a panic, grandson pulled a rad off the wallin his daughters rented house, can I go right away, go round cap both pipes remove rad and plasterboard wall destroyed, go back next day with the lad, cut the plasterboard out and fit 3/4 ply, new TRV and L/S add inhibitor and refill system, she says how much , I said call it £60, she says I will get my dad to give it to you, a few weeks later he comes into the pub and throws the money on the bar, says you are a robbing barsteward, I told the barmaid to give all the old lads in the bar a drink from the £60 and told him never to speak to me again, he had the cheek to txt me to say he was sorry and could I service his boiler as its not working :rolleyes:

My two penneth. Using a 'cheap' tradesman doesn't guarantee a lousy job, any more than using an expensive one guarantees a good job. And yes, some customers are just not worth working for. :)
True, I used a roofer who charged a very reasonable £150 to replace a few roof tiles then re point the roof, battered old van and a bit rough and ready but couldn’t fault him. I once used a electrician which was expensive and had a good reputation, and wasn’t impressed with his work at all, measured wrong and never stopped complaining.

+1 for that Just Pumps. I also notice almost daily there are pleas on the local Social Media pages for someone or something 'cheap', as there is usually some kind of back sob story as to why they haven't got much money.

I get that, but we're all facing the same issues with the cost of living, my hard won pay rise is simply going straight back out again to pay the higher bills. Think back to the 70's and we managed with what we had and what my Parents could afford. They only had a part CH system put in as that was all they had the money for, I have vivid memories of waking up to a thick layer of ice on the inside of the window. Cheap Plumber, cheap carpets, cheap holiday lets, list goes on. Even get those telling us what they are prepared to pay as 'thats all its worth' for what they deem an hours work or whatever. Never mind transport to get self and tools there....

They dont like it when they get told 'Buy cheap, buy twice'.....

i am a big believer of you get what you pay for, but at the same time you have to be savvy. I got a quote from two joiners to fit 12 new doors, one quoted £800 and another £1,500. He has done work for neighbours and they were very picky and they were happy with the job

Works the other way too though, mate calls in a panic, grandson pulled a rad off the wallin his daughters rented house, can I go right away, go round cap both pipes remove rad and plasterboard wall destroyed, go back next day with the lad, cut the plasterboard out and fit 3/4 ply, new TRV and L/S add inhibitor and refill system, she says how much , I said call it £60, she says I will get my dad to give it to you, a few weeks later he comes into the pub and throws the money on the bar, says you are a robbing barsteward, I told the barmaid to give all the old lads in the bar a drink from the £60 and told him never to speak to me again, he had the cheek to txt me to say he was sorry and could I service his boiler as its not working :rolleyes:
Some people are unreal.

you barely charged the material cost, did non plumbing work and saved the guy maybe £400

I’m sure Pimlico Plumbers can sort out his boiler…..

Andy
I bet she was fit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back