What’s going on with this yoke?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

My understairs strip lamp has a pull chord. It’s acting up - hard to describe. The chord isn’t taking. Sometimes it pulls down but doesn’t click as it normally does and the light comes on. It flickers a bit.

Could someone kindly advise how to progress please.
I’m sure it’s something to do with the bulb and the switch that the chord is on - maybe it was pulled too hard and fell off some tracker.

many thanks all.

Attachments

• D2288E8D-06B0-4629-8DF7-39375FEFFFE9.jpeg
    D2288E8D-06B0-4629-8DF7-39375FEFFFE9.jpeg
    159.5 KB · Views: 143
Sponsored Links
Sounds like the plastic link is damaged.

Touch of penetrating oil required on the switch. Power off MCB first.

Sponsored Links
Are you serious ?

Oil on warm contacts, inflammable vapour, arc when the switch disconnects and that is a recipe for a fire ( albeit a small one ).

Thanks for that advice.

what’s typically the problem with chord?
Can it be fixed?
Is it better to get a new luminaire?
It’s a light put in under the stairs - something else might be more useful. Thanks for advice.

The loc may well lend itself to a different lighting setup

Please post pix of the situation.

You may find it easier with a separate switch nearer the door or outside.

Thanks for the pic.

Can I please see a shot showing the outside of the cupboard with the door open, so you can see the inside and outside of the cupboard at the same time?

It might be better to fit an unswitched light fitting with a separate pullcord switch like you might see in a bathroom.

Something like this: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/KBBAT2.html

Switched by something like this: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BG801.html

You could also fit a plate switch on the outside of the cupboard.

Thanks for the pic.

Can I please see a shot showing the outside of the cupboard with the door open, so you can see the inside and outside of the cupboard at the same time?

It might be better to fit an unswitched light fitting with a separate pullcord switch like you might see in a bathroom.

Something like this: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/KBBAT2.html

Switched by something like this: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/BG801.html

You could also fit a plate switch on the outside of the cupboard.
Thanks for that. See below

Attachments

• 64811C4C-C324-47BD-9D0F-4EDE1B44920B.jpeg
    64811C4C-C324-47BD-9D0F-4EDE1B44920B.jpeg
    132.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 246C23F5-2AA8-4FD7-A106-5EFE7FD5994D.jpeg
    246C23F5-2AA8-4FD7-A106-5EFE7FD5994D.jpeg
    177.9 KB · Views: 52
Four options
1. Get a new switch for the fitting.
2. Fit a new switch somewhere else
3. Buy a whole new fitting
4. Bypass the switch so the light is no longer switched, but rewire the feed so it comes on with the room lights.

Simples!

If the fitting cannot be fixed, I would be tempted to replace it with something a bit brighter.

But having looked at the cupboard, I would ask these questions:

Do I go in there often?

Is the existing light bright enough to see what I need to see when I do go in there?

Is the existing pull switch a pain to reach?

If the answers are no yes and no, I would replace the fitting with a similar one or repair if possible.

Also check the front diffuser is clipped on properly, them fittings tended to have a safety switch fitted preventing them working with the cover off, proberly not the issue but worth checking.

If the fitting cannot be fixed, I would be tempted to replace it with something a bit brighter.

But having looked at the cupboard, I would ask these questions:

Do I go in there often?

Is the existing light bright enough to see what I need to see when I do go in there?

Is the existing pull switch a pain to reach?

If the answers are no yes and no, I would replace the fitting with a similar one or repair if possible.
Excellent advice. Gonna take those two options. Thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back