What adhesive to use to fix wooden batten to wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I’m replacing my front path gate, see pic, with a new one, but sizing issues means it will need to be hung off differently located fixings which I plan on screwing into accoya blocks that are in turn pre-fixed to the wall with some kind of adhesive/bond. The gate is about the same size but pretty weighty. A quick google reveals no more nails ultra power to be the strongest external all weather adhesive, can anyone vouch for this, or if not suggest something stronger?

Attachments

• CAA46BA1-084F-4635-B3A6-0CAEC56ECBA6.jpeg
    CAA46BA1-084F-4635-B3A6-0CAEC56ECBA6.jpeg
    431 KB · Views: 138
Sponsored Links
I'd always use a mechanical fixing for your blocks....instant grab adhesive has it's place but not there I'm afraid!
John :)

I'm with John. Glues are simply not designed for the sort of loading a gatepost or gate hinges gets and will fail, probably very quickly. The only way to fix this/these is to use a mechanical fixing methid instead, e.g screws and plugs, concrete screws, resin anchors, etc

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
OH no, please glue it.
Then next week we can answer a thread about "my gate has fallen off" :)

The original gate was fitted, badly, in the 60s, I couldn’t find any new gates of the same size where the anchor points are the same. Pity really, it would save what has been quite a tricky plan.

If it is steel it should always be possible to get a welder to grind off one (or both) of the mountings, reposition same and reweld. Bit of touch-up paint and viola! Able to reuse old mountings

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back