what am i legally able to do??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Im looking for some advice from the electriaicans on here.

I have recently set up my own property maintenance company. I am a fully qualified gas engineer. I set myself up as I can do a variety of other jobs to a good standard.

As a gas engineer, I regulary need to connect the boiler to a fused spur. I have always been told that i can only cannot to a fused spur if there i one already there. I cannot add a fused spur to the curcuit myself, is this true??

also can you tell me if I can do any of these other jobs in peoples house as I regulary get asked to

wire in a wireless room thermostat
wire in a wired room thermostat
replace light fittings
replace sockets facias

just want to make sure i stay within the law.

also, I was thinking of doing the part p course so I can do any domestic electrical work. Ive read that its not the best to have but I wouldnt mind going on a course that will one day lead to me being able to do electrics in commercial buildings. I have worked alongside many electricians over the years and am very confident when it comes to electrical work with a domestic property. The law still stays though that im not qualified and therfore not allowed to complete cetain electrical work

Sponsored Links
Hi guys,

Im looking for some advice from the electriaicans on here.

I have recently set up my own property maintenance company. I am a fully qualified gas engineer. I set myself up as I can do a variety of other jobs to a good standard.

As a gas engineer, I regulary need to connect the boiler to a fused spur. I have always been told that i can only cannot to a fused spur if there i one already there. I cannot add a fused spur to the curcuit myself, is this true??
You can connect a fused spur to a circuit provided it is not in the kitchen or special location - however, seemingly anything to do with the electrical side of the installation of central heating is notifiable and therefore they may get you that way.

also can you tell me if I can do any of these other jobs in peoples house as I regulary get asked to

wire in a wireless room thermostat
wire in a wired room thermostat
Preety certain that is notifiable as part of above but will no doubt be corrected if not the case.

replace light fittings replace sockets facias
Not notifable if you just replace.

also, I was thinking of doing the part p course so I can do any domestic electrical work. Ive read that its not the best to have but I wouldnt mind going on a course that will one day lead to me being able to do electrics in commercial buildings. I have worked alongside many electricians over the years and am very confident when it comes to electrical work with a domestic property. The law still stays though that im not qualified and therfore not allowed to complete cetain electrical work
I always thought that Gas safe engineers were required to to be certified for Part P notiifactions anyway. But obviously if you want to gain qualification for domestic installation then there are various courses - if you want to go into Commericial electrical work then you are probably talking about C&G 2391 and the Wiring regs qualifications.

Hi guys,
I was thinking of doing the part p course so I can do any domestic electrical work.
Taking a part p course will only improve your knowledge of part p of the building regulation. It will not really get you any further down the line to being allowed to install domestic electrical installations.
As there is nothing legally stopping you from doing it now, but you will need to notify building controls on work that is notifiable, prior to work starting. This will involve quite a hefty fee on application.
If you went down the road of wanting to self certificate work, you will need to register with a scheme provider to be full scope.
They will expect you to have relevant qualifications, some are different and require different ones in place or give you an interim period to gain them.
They will at least expect a level 2 qualification and also 17th edition 2382, some may also require you to have 2391/2392 or it equivalent.
They also charge an annual fee of around £450-£500.
You will go under assessment, where you may be required to show a knowledge on part p, and inspection and testing, show them health and safety policy, quotes, risk assessment, company contract templates, PI insurances, complaints log, up to date library of relevant publications, calibration certificate(s) of test equipment, and evidence of work.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back