What amp circuit required for 2 ovens and a hob

Sponsored Links
How many accessories can accommodate 2 x 6mm cables?
Well, many/most BS1363 accessories (e.g MK sockets and FCUs) claim to have a terminal capacity of 2 x 6mm².

However, more to the point, if 6mm² cable is being used for good reason, the accessories to which it is likely top be connected (e.g. 45/50A switches, cooker connection units and 'connection plates etc.) will usually have a claimed capacity of at least 3 x 6mm².

Well, many/most BS1363 accessories (e.g MK sockets and FCUs) claim to have a terminal capacity of 2 x 6mm².

However, more to the point, if 6mm² cable is being used for good reason, the accessories to which it is likely top be connected (e.g. 45/50A switches, cooker connection units and 'connection plates etc.) will usually have a claimed capacity of at least 3 x 6mm².

Here you go again Mr Splitting Hairs

I said not many accessories will accept 2 x 6 mm cables

This is what a 2.5mm² flex looks like having powered a catering wagon from a 5.5KVa genset or 32A MCB
1704579102560.png

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Here you go again Mr Splitting Hairs
Exactly what hairs do you believe have been split?
I said not many accessories will accept 2 x 6 mm cables
You didn't actually. You asked the question (which may have been intended as rhetorical) ....
How many accessories can accommodate 2 x 6mm cables?
...and I answered that question, indicating that many of the accessories we use every day (probably most accessories we use every day, other than those on lighting circuits) claim to have a terminal capacity of 2 x 6mm² or greater.

This is what a 2.5mm² flex looks like having powered a catering wagon from a 5.5KVa genset or 32A MCB
How big was the load on this 32A circuit. Per BS7671, 2.5mm² flex has a maximum CCC of 25A.

Kind Regards,John

How big was the load on this 32A circuit. Per BS7671, 2.5mm² flex has a maximum CCC of 25A.

Kind Regards,John
I did measure But I don't recall, however it was protected by a 32A MCB at that time (Not that cable though) so theoretically only 25ish% overload possible

I did measure But I don't recall, however it was protected by a 32A MCB at that time (Not that cable though) so theoretically only 25ish% overload possible
Fair enough. Strictly speaking,of course, 2,5mm² flex is not adequately protected by a 32A MCB.

I certainly wouldn't expect a "25ish%" overload to do harm to a cable very quickly, but if the overload persisted for a long time, that might be a different matter.

Also, don't forget that a 32A MCB does not impose a 32A 'ceiling'. A 32A MCB will allow about 46A to flow for about an hour (and highre currents than that for shorter periods) - and that would represent something like an 85% overload for 2.5mm² flex.

Kind Regards, John

True. What about US Amps ? :)
Well I must plead guilty.
I automatically did not include US Amps because they, the US of A, beggar up units.
6 pints to a gallon. 1 thousand x 1 million = 1 billion instad of the proper 1 million times 1 million = 1 billion, 1024 bytes to a kilobyte and a plethora of other things, cant spell reet or pronounce words reet or even get the date reet. So yes I discounted them.
So sorry for my omission there folks. I will strive to do better.
I would estimate that 37 US Amps to be in the region of 27.75 normal amps within a few electrons or so but I can not claim that conclusively though.

It would not surprise me if it were them that started to call a cell a battery, always prone te exagerations they are.

Although, in the interest of fair play, I can not envisage they bear any responsibillity of some folk calling "1 New Penny" 1 New pence in the UK a few years back.
I think that that blunder might have been a totally British one.

Last edited:
...and I answered that question, indicating that many of the accessories we use every day (probably most accessories we use every day, other than those on lighting circuits) claim to have a terminal capacity of 2 x 6mm² or greater.

hardly any ...............

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back