What amp circuit required for 2 ovens and a hob

Sponsored Links
1024 bytes to a kilobyte
And we all know it should be called a Kibibyte (KiB) :)

It can get confusing - manufacturers use the correct meaning when stating hard drive capacity i.e. a 2TB drive (or 1.82TiB).
And how does Windows choose to display the capacity? - 1.82TB (minus any other OS losses), because it uses the JEDEC (memory) standard instead of IEC. :rolleyes:

Mind you a bloke in the pub a few years back asked me how many Watts in a Kilowatt? I answered "about a thousand"

My apologies, I edited too much off.

I have never had a problem fitting 2x6mm² into any 13A or 15A socket.
I had originally written something like:
I've never knowingly used one that did not as long as the end isn't twisted. In the early days sockets easily handled 3 or 4 7/0.029" wires.
Bu then I decided less is more:unsure:

Sponsored Links
Fair enough. Strictly speaking,of course, 2,5mm² flex is not adequately protected by a 32A MCB.

I certainly wouldn't expect a "25ish%" overload to do harm to a cable very quickly, but if the overload persisted for a long time, that might be a different matter.

Also, don't forget that a 32A MCB does not impose a 32A 'ceiling'. A 32A MCB will allow about 46A to flow for about an hour (and highre currents than that for shorter periods) - and that would represent something like an 85% overload for 2.5mm² flex.

Kind Regards, John
The situation with that cable was 2 fold;
At an event I was providing temporary power to the traders etc, A food wagon had requested a 32A single phase supply. I had laid in a suitable supply cable but left the end obscured in long grass and the MCB/RCBO switched off. Next thing I knew was the wagon had arrived and set-up, I assumed a colleague had done the hook up.
Some time later their power kept going off and they blamed the OCPD being faulty. Looking back at https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/repairing-lawnmover-cable.434565/page-2 starting at#22 I see I clamped at 55A.

Secondly their hook up cable was a widow maker.

That was one where we did a temporary botch on their wagon to give a 63A supply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back