what are the risks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am one of the few parents who wont let my children be in the local paper with their name beside the picture ( school stuff) after listening to a talk about people preying on children.
I was also told not to allow pictures of my children to be put on the school website for safety.

Now, I have a letter from school with a permission slip asking if I will let my children be part of a project called Flat Stanley.

Apparently lots of schools do it and its where the children use a web cam to talk to other children.

Anyone help here?
My kids want to do this but I dont know what, if any, the risks are of letting them take part in this?

Advice please on risks of this?
As I dont know anything about computers I just dont know if I am being over anxious or sensible being wary???

Im a bit impatient on this one as I need to return the slip tomorrow, so any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
If lots of schools do it, it must be safe. Surely the webcam thing will be 2-way? So they will see the kid at the other end, and indeed, if it is a kid :eek: and not some pervy old man JOKE!

But seriously, live on the edge! Sign the form! Let the kids have some fun at school for once!

thankyou crafty, I have had a look on ask jeeves for flat stanley.
I know what you mean about how it should be okay if lots of schools do it.
Unfortunately... perverts are out there and in more places than i realised.
Ignorance of the internet combined with horror stories just make me anxious.

why havnt you spoken to the school about this? you must do so for your own peace of mind as well as the childs safety.

Sponsored Links
I've had a quick look at this project take a look yourself at http://www.flatstanleyproject.net. If its being endorsed by the school and your children are on the web at the school you can be very certain that they will take no chances with any childs safety under their control.

At the end of the day they will be liable for anything that may go wrong and from the brief look I've had at the project its a worldwide effort.

perhaps the staff at the school will allow you to sit in just to allay any concerns/questions you have. there may be friends of your whose children already participate and help you decide.

Like Richard says, talk to the school, as they'll know the safeguards that they've put in place. On a broader note though, its tricky to know how much care to take - Contrary to popular belief, your children aren't in half as much danger as you are led to believe, and you shouldn't ruin your and their lives through worrying, though you need to keep an air of vigilance.

Bomber127 said:
I've had a quick look at this project take a look yourself at http://www.flatstanleyproject.net. If its being endorsed by the school and your children are on the web at the school you can be very certain that they will take no chances with any childs safety under their control.

At the end of the day they will be liable for anything that may go wrong and from the brief look I've had at the project its a worldwide effort.

perhaps the staff at the school will allow you to sit in just to allay any concerns/questions you have. there may be friends of your whose children already participate and help you decide.
you'd think so but look how many school trips go wrong, you should always question it.

I will ring up and arrange to go into the school.
I might learn a thing or two about the internet aswell.
I get the impression that the head thinks Im overprotective because of the newspaper thing.

I guess I need to get my finger out and learn more so Im in a better position to help the kids have fun on the computer and stay safe.

It is about balance isnt it.

The talk I went to mentioned things like not putting the names in kids jumpers and coats because when they take them off and use them as goal posts,in play parks, predators can come along, read the name from the clothes and then approach the child and say their name as if they know them.

Ill ring school in morning.
thanks.

richardp..

thats another thing!
eldest boy who is 8 is going away on a residential outward bounds trip next week.

There was a meeting about it which both hubby and I went to.

There was caving in the brochure which would have been a definate no no until I realised that the caving is in a man made cave.

There are water sports though and Im terrified about it.
I feel sure that all the activities are well supervised and I want him to have a great time and I havent told him but I am wary after the deaths on school trips.
Goodness, I sound morbid, and I dont mean to.. its great that he is going but its the water stuff that makes me nervous.
There is a high staff to child ratio with them being young and it will be okay.

I know... I need to take a chill pill!!!

toffee said:
richardp..

thats another thing!
eldest boy who is 8 is going away on a residential outward bounds trip next week.

There was a meeting about it which both hubby and I went to.

There was caving in the brochure which would have been a definate no no until I realised that the caving is in a man made cave.

There are water sports though and Im terrified about it.
I feel sure that all the activities are well supervised and I want him to have a great time and I havent told him but I am wary after the deaths on school trips.
Goodness, I sound morbid, and I dont mean to.. its great that he is going but its the water stuff that makes me nervous.
There is a high staff to child ratio with them being young and it will be okay.

I know... I need to take a chill pill!!!
toffee
I was always over protective, my daughter is now all growed up with two kids of her own and I'm still the same with my grand kids, you love them and wont to protect them,nothing wrong with that, you have to question everything and they should respect that.
we get these school partys comeing here , I've seen the kids running wild on the beach whilst the teachers are sleeping off a liquid lunch, things are better these days after all the bad publicity they get and also some parents go on the trips which is better.

Richardp said:
you'd think so but look how many school trips go wrong, you should always question it.
How many trips do go wrong? How many go right? Is your child at more risk going on a school trip than crossing the road, I don't know the answers but I think there is a real risk of stifling a childs development by being over-protective because or perceptions of risk are exaggerated by sensationalist reporting by the press.

thankyou rich...its just good sometimes to know others have been there too.
I think the teachers probably cringe when they see me coming but just because they are teachers and should be responsible, doesnt always mean they will be.
I went on a trip where two staff members spent more time in each others bedrooms than supervising us!
Granted we were all about 15/16yrs and not just 8yrs and while they were...well.. doing whatever, we could drink cider and stay up!
:LOL:

hermes.. press coverage probably does make things seem worse.
Trouble is... it works, planting seeds of doubt in your mind.

still, he is going, and is packed already!
any one got any spare prozac?? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Contrary to popular belief, your children aren't in half as much danger as you are led to believe, and you shouldn't ruin your and their lives through worrying, though you need to keep an air of vigilance.
I agree

Toffee, its easy to worry [I do lots], its normal parent stuff, but the odds of something happening are pretty remote. My kids have done the camps, spanish trip, france, outdoor activities. They come home buzzing, wanting more. We can't know whats going to happen anytime to any of us, but you cant let that stop life altogether. They'll have a great time while ruining your sleep for the week!! Bet you did it to your parents.

Thought I was going to catch up on posts, but it looks as though your fingers are on fire. Steady :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back