What are you watching on TV right now?

Just watched the first episode about the Maxwells. He was a slippery bastard and I never trusted him at the time.

Sponsored Links
Murder in Provenance. A bit like Death in Paradise but even though set in France, everyone has a British accent! Every character, every shopkeeper, waiter, detective, tradesman, bank manager, policeman, murder victim, taxi driver, builder. All have French names, mind. It's just.....weird?

Last edited:
Norman Scott on BBC breakfast. He was the one who created the 'pillow biter' euphemism that came out in the Jeremy Thorpe trial. Seems a nice chap actually.

Oops, he's just been told off for swearing!

Last edited:
Just watched the first episode about the Maxwells. He was a slippery bastard and I never trusted him at the time.

Whenever i hear the term 'Fat Cats' i automatically think of him, sitting his fat ass in the director's box at the old Baseball Ground. It's still raw, thirty years and counting, since it was discovered he'd stolen people's pensions and even after the revelation about his jewish heritage it's bloody difficult to find any sympathy for the man.
I'll watch the second part with wry amusement at the ways his kids tried to dig themselves out of the hole he put them in.

Sponsored Links
I think his boys were in on it. Just before it all came on top, the directors were prohibited, by him, to speaking to each other "unless there was a Maxwell present". That meant him and the two sons.

Rick Stein on Saturday kitchen. He's in Germany. I've never seen any German cuisine that I like the look of and this is no exception. Boiled salt beef, heavily minced up up, butter, margarine (in large quantities) with mashed potato. Blended into some sort of paste that you can spread on toast and pop a couple of fried eggs on top. Looks bloody disgusting.

Whenever i hear the term 'Fat Cats' i automatically think of him, sitting his fat ass in the director's box at the old Baseball Ground. It's still raw, thirty years and counting, since it was discovered he'd stolen people's pensions and even after the revelation about his jewish heritage it's bloody difficult to find any sympathy for the man.
I'll watch the second part with wry amusement at the ways his kids tried to dig themselves out of the hole he put them in.

At least he had the decency to top himself (if Mossad didn't kill him as some believe), maybe Philip Green should take a leaf out of his book.

A funny tale about Bob Maxwell... on an unannounced afternoon visit to one of his printing facilities Maxwell caught somebody smoking. He gave the chap a dressing-down, explaining how dangerous it was to smoke in a newspaper factory. He then asked the man how much he earned, to which the man told him his weekly take-home pay.

Maxwell pulled a roll of banknotes from his pocket, peeled a load off and handed them to the guilty smoker saying "There's two weeks' wages. You're fired".

The bloke pocketed the cash and walked out. It turned out that he didn't work for Maxwell, he was just a delivery driver dropping off.

Last edited by a moderator:
At least he had the decency to top himself (if Mossad didn't kill him as some believe), maybe Philip Green should take a leaf out of his book.

Decency had bug all to do with it: he didn't have the guts to face his family and tell them the truth.

A funny tale about Bob Maxwell... on an unannounced afternoon visit to one of his printing facilities Maxwell caught somebody smoking. He gave the chap a dressing-down, explaining how dangerous it was to smoke in a newspaper factory. He then asked the man how much he earned, to which the man told him his weekly take-home pay.

Maxwell pulled a roll of banknotes from his pocket, peeled a load off and handed them to the guilty smoker saying "There's two weeks' wages. You're fired".

The bloke pocketed the cash and walked out. It turned out that he didn't work for Maxwell, he was just a delivery driver dropping off.
I heard that too, except it was Alan Sugar, good to keep those urban myths in circulation

West Ham giving some scoundrels a severe thrashing over in scoundrel land. :sneaky:

Sponsored Links
Back