What cable do i need?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What cable to i need to buy to install a wireless thermostat to my boiler?

Currently i have no thermostat atall, i have to turn it on and off using the boiler.

There is a socket with a fuse with a cable coming out that provides the boiler with power.

I need to install a wireless receiver so need to buy some more cable.

I assume the power will go from the socket that is currently installed, into the thermostat receiver, then into the boiler.

cheers

Sponsored Links
I’d be looking at minimum 0.75mm squared heat resistant 5 core flex. Two switching wires and the rest are live neutral and earth. I think you can only use 240vac with a Baxi of your type, but would need mi’s to confirm.

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
cheers. so am i correct in saying that the current wire that goes from the fused socket/box to the boiler, is rewired to go straight into the thermostat receiver.

From this receiver i run another cable to the boiler.

It says that i need to put a link wire in - do i just cut a bit of the 'live' cable from the cable and form the link that way?

Not correct. All of the connections are made inside the boiler.
Pick up the LN&E from the boiler mains terminals. The two thermostat connections are Linked inside the Baxi, remove the Ed blink and that’s where the stat goes. Check the installation manual for confirmation - I’m no boiler expert!
E1A0A7CA-C0F4-4B78-B819-6C2D8BD2D104.png

Last edited:
Ok thanks. I'm not 100% sure what I'm doing. I'll post when I get to have a look at it all once it arrives. If I'm not confident I'll get someone in to do it. They're charging a fortune just to wire some cables hence my went to do it.

Hi,

I have now received my wireless thermostat: Salus RT310RF

My boiler is a baxi duotec 28 HE A

This is what i currently have:

A fused spur with cable supplying the boiler with mains power (as per pic below)
IMG_20200924_092806997.jpg

This is what the terminal block CURRENTLY looks like inside the boiler where the connections for thermostat will be made
IMG_20200924_092249293.jpg

IMG_20200924_092244906.jpg

This is the wiring diagram on the boiler:

IMG_20200924_091815704.jpg

This is the wireless receiver which i need to connect to the boiler:

IMG_20200924_091558543.jpg

This is the wiring info in the manual:

IMG_20200924_091328405.jpg

And finally, this is the cable that i have purchased to wire in the connections. It is 0.75mm 5 core heat resistant cable.
IMG_20200924_093517335.jpg

Please may you clarify the steps i need to take to ensure i can safely install the wireless thermostat.

Thanks!

That fused connection unit ought to be switched.
Or swapped for a plug and socket arrangement.
Is that neutral connection on the boiler fused?

That fused connection unit ought to be switched.
Or swapped for a plug and socket arrangement.
Is that neutral connection on the boiler fused?

Ok i'll get a front plate with a fuse and switch - i assume wiring is like for like?

Not sure regards to neutral connection on boiler - i can't see a fuse in there? The white cable running into terminal block is the one directly from the fuse box on the wall

EDIT: Wouldn't the fuse be underneath the black 'bits' that can be seen in the picture? Or should these be removed and replaced with 2a fuse?

The wiring will be like for like in that you will have an incoming supply cable or cables feeding the incoming (or feed) terminals of the switched fused connection unit. Then you'll have an outgoing cable to the boiler connected to the outgoing (or load) terminals of the switched fused connection unit.
But the positions of these terminals will differ. Don't forget to swap the fuse for a 3A one.

Don't alter the fuses in the boiler. I commented because it does look as if the N connection is fused, and there are not normally fuses in the neutral conductor.
There could be a solid link in the fuse holder instead.
Have you got the boiler instructions?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back