What cable do i need?

As for the steps to connect it, there should be more detail in the instructions for the boiler and also written instructions (rather than pictures) with the Salus.

How do you understand it should be connected to the boiler terminals?

Sponsored Links
When you come to connect, the black and grey conductors should be sleeved with brown sleeving.

Sponsored Links
As for the steps to connect it, there should be more detail in the instructions for the boiler and also written instructions (rather than pictures) with the Salus.

How do you understand it should be connected to the boiler terminals?

EDIT:

My understanding is that using the 5 core cable i have purchased, i need to connect the Blue to N and Brown to L inside the boiler terminal block. The other end of the cable (receiver end), i need to connect the same, Blue to N and Brown to L.

What happens to the earth? There is an earth connection on terminal block in boiler but not on the receiver?

This leaves the grey and black cables. Which one goes into 'NO' and which one goes into 'COM' (inside receiver)
Which parts on the terminal block in boiler to i connect the black and grey wires?

As per instructions on boiler i need to remove the yellow link wire before connections

Last edited:
Yes L from boiler to L in thermostat , N from Boiler to N in thermostat, thermostat is double insulated so no earth is required. Grey and black in boiler, whichever you use make sure it’s the same at other end, so black/Grey to NO (switched live in boiler) and black/grey to com (live out from boiler). Yes link needs to be removed otherwise it won’t work from the thermostat.

Yeah, that's right. You need to connect to the mains in terminals on your boiler with the brown, blue and green/yellow of the 5 core. Connect the earth conductor at the boiler end then just put a small terminal block or Wago connector on the other end. I assume there is room for one?

If not, look at the instructions for the Salus and see what their suggestion is.

The instructions for the Salus (from memory) are that if your boiler has low voltage (230v) terminals for the stat (it does, as labelled on the boiler where the yellow loop wire is), then you can link the live inside the Salus box to Common. But in your case, the boiler has a 230v live out terminal, so connect the black (sleeved brown) to that and use the grey (sleeved brown) to connect to the return terminal.

Think of the thermostat as a light switch and the boiler as the light.
The thermostat turns on the boiler in the same way.
The wiring is the same too. You have a live feed to one side of the switch and the other wire is only live when the thermostat is calling for heat.

True, removing the fuse from the FCU will.
A gas eng working on the system would want DP isolation. While a local switch or plug/ socket arrangement is not the only way, it is the most convenient, both for the gas eng and the customer.

A gas eng working on the system would want DP isolation. While a local switch or plug/ socket arrangement is not the only way, it is the most convenient, both for the gas eng and the customer.
Indeed. Don’t blame Winnie, he doesn’t know. He probably doesn’t have a copy of the Gas Safe requirements for isolation. (Or a copy of BS7671).

Having Live and Neutral disconnected from the boiler does remove the risk of the Gas person tripping an RCD by accidently allowing any wire to come into contact with the earthed metal work inside the boiler. ( Earthed via the copper pipe work and bonding conductors )

MANY THANKS for your help. Much appreciated!

So to confirm in summary, steps below:

1. Turn off power to boiler
2. Remove yellow link wire in boiler

Keep the current cable in place that supplies the boiler with power,Using my 5 core cable, connect

3. Blue end to neutral on boiler terminal block and other end to 'N' terminal on thermostat receiver
4. Brown end to Live on boiler terminal block and other end to 'L' on thermostat receiver
5. Earth cable to Earth on boiler terminal block and other end to end in a wago box. Do i cut a separate length of cable for the earth, otherwise the other end would be where the receiver is.
6. Black to connect to left side (number 1) where currently yellow loopwire is and the other end (black) to connect into 'NO'
7. Grey cable to connect to right side (number 2) where current loop wire is, and the other end (grey) to connect into 'COM'

Can you confirm i have got steps 6 and 7 the correct way round?

When connecting the Live and Neutral from the receiver into the boiler terminal block, i am assuming i can connect into the same side of the terminal block that the power supply goes in (from the fused 230v supply)

Many thanks again

Last edited:
Yes it is ok to me, no need for separate earth wire, just terminate in a connector block at receiver end. The earth isn’t required on the receiver as it’s double insulated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back