What cladding do you all use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was looking into cladding and it suprised me at how expensive it is in comparison to the rest of a shed. Is there any benefit on using certain cladding over the next? The cheapest I have found is Weatherboard but then Shiplap looks and fits nicer, but is usually double the price...

In the US they use something called T1-11 Plywood which seems really nice but unfortunatly we don't do that here... :(

I am looking to cover 32 sqm and with Weatherboard I can get away with paying £250... so £7.8 per sqm. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Get what you pay for.

Cheaper timber tends to be poorly dried (so will move and distort more in hot dry months), and poorly treated.

The treatment you can rectify by brush applying something yourself and then sealing it in with a stain or paint (NOT varnish).

Good regular fixings will keep the boards flat, but if you don't know what you are doing then you risk splitting around fixings when they dry on cheaper boards, the fixings need to be spaced and positioned correctly.

You need to think about what you want to achieve. Cheap cladding will still do the job, but making it look nice is much more down to your skill, more expensive cladding (should) make a good finish easier as it should be better treated, dried and conditioned.

weatherboard will be quite gappy and will let wind, dirt and insects in, and, in strong winds, driving rain.

You will get better results by mounting the board on battens, with ply or felt behind to keep the shed weathertight.

if you are going to heat it, you could use rigid foam boards behind the cladding. Mineral wool makes a nice home for vermin.

I use shiplap because it looks better. To reduce splitting, drill for all your fixings, and only one screw or nail, centrally, at each position (i.e. don't have a row of fixings at the top of each board and at the bottom, or it will crack) You need a bit of space between the boards as they will swell wider when humid.

If you want a better job, apply your fencestain to the boards before fixing, them you can do the edges and backs. I have recently turned to linseed oil.

Yeah weatherboard does seem like its holey.. I am planning to put Kingspan insulation between the cladding and a layer of ply sheet for the inside finish. I guess I will go with shiplap as it seems what most nicer sheds use.

Sponsored Links
Used all sorts in my time. I tend to personally prefer weatherboard . Ship lap does perhaps look nicer but after having to rectify a problem where the boards had shrunk enough to come out of the adjoining boards groove I've gone off it a tad. I also built a shed once using shuttering ply coated with fence guard and that lasted really well. So well in fact that when I moved house I took it with me and it formed the backing to the coroline sheeting my workshop is now clad in.
A lot depends on what sort of thing you like and what you want the shed to look like.

Photobucket = work-of-the-devil.

FYI to anybody who was able to see big-all's photo(s), you allowed the following sites to run scripts on your PC:

glam.com
pbsrc.com
adsonar.com
cpxinteractive.com
amazon-adsystem.com
msecnd.net

Photobucket = work-of-the-devil.

FYI to anybody who was able to see big-all's photo(s), you allowed the following sites to run scripts on your PC:

glam.com
pbsrc.com
adsonar.com
cpxinteractive.com
amazon-adsystem.com
msecnd.net

is that good or bad lol :eek:

IHNI how bad they are, but they can't be good, nor can they be necessary, technically, for images stored on Photobucket's site to be shown.

I don't know what they do, nor does anybody else who clicks on Photobucket images, but I can guarantee it's not the best interests of Photobucket users which they have at heart.

I don't like the idea of sites which I do not know about stealthily running things on my PC which I do not know about and which have nothing to do with the reason I visited a website in the first place.

https://noscript.net/

thanks

does that mean i am infecting anybody the views the images :eek:

IHNI how bad they are, but they can't be good, nor can they be necessary, technically, for images stored on Photobucket's site to be shown.

I don't know what they do, nor does anybody else who clicks on Photobucket images, but I can guarantee it's not the best interests of Photobucket users which they have at heart.

I don't like the idea of sites which I do not know about stealthily running things on my PC which I do not know about and which have nothing to do with the reason I visited a website in the first place.

https://noscript.net/[/QUOTE]

So you don't like most websites then?

Photo bucket makes money from advertising, that's all those scripts are, most websites have various scripts.

Noscript is like using a nuke to kill a handful of terrorists, sure it works, but to use it properly takes up far more time than you actually save on the small risk of a virus. I can see it being useful for security sensitive occupations, not the home user.

So you don't like most websites then?
Correct.

Photo bucket makes money from advertising, that's all those scripts are
How do you know?

Noscript is like using a nuke to kill a handful of terrorists, sure it works, but to use it properly takes up far more time than you actually save on the small risk of a virus.
Doesn't take much time.

And it's not just the risk of cross-site attacks, there are also privacy, tracking, advertising issues.

I can see it being useful for security sensitive occupations, not the home user.
I think you're being a bit naïve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back