What Do We Do Here?

Perhaps?

1702852078318.png

Sponsored Links
I think it a bit remiss of MFI (Howdens) if they have not stated the desk height so you expected a "bog standard" height.

Sponsored Links
That's a great solution if you can't find a socket like the one I described.

Take the socket off, knockout one of the rear knockouts, feed the cable into the back of the angled box. Fixing depends on whether you can attach the angled box to the existing flush one by drilling new holes and attaching it using the 3.5mm lugs, or taking out the wood screws through the back of the metal box, replacing them with longer ones and screwing the angled box in place that way. If the cable is too short, use wagos to extend. There is plenty of space to do that. Then fit the socket you removed to the front of the angled box.

Hey presto!

The angled back box looks like a neat solution. Is this fairly easy to do DIY or better to get an electrician to do it? I found flipping the socket round fairly easy but not sure on this. Thank you again for all of your help and advice, it's greatly appreciated!

That's a great solution if you can't find a socket like the one I described.
Yeah, had a look but couldn't see a M2 with higher outlets, plus I think the angled socket would look really nice on the worktop. It is above my fiancée's desk who is not that bothered about it, but when she comes to use it (though may not) it may be a different story! :LOL:

The angled back box looks like a neat solution. Is this fairly easy to do DIY or better to get an electrician to do it?
Simple enough to DIY, just follow @securespark 's advice.
Hopefully, if you had a decent electrician, they would have left you with enough cable to extend the socket out enough.
If not, use some Wago's as suggested.

Prettier angled boxes are also available!

@RandomGrinch Yeah, he's very good, have used him for many years. It was a tough decision for him on this particular socket, I don't blame him for putting it in upside down initially, but think an angled socket or moving the back box up would have been better.

@Harry Bloomfield I wish there was, the desk are fitted and have storage drawers and cupboards underneath them, it would be a massive amount of work for just one socket.

Here is the desk, you can see what I mean... Excuse the mess, it's a dumping ground until its used as a PC desk.

Attachments

• IMG_1958.jpg
    IMG_1958.jpg
    287.9 KB · Views: 36

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back