What Do We Do Here?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Bit of a long story, but we have just refurbished a house and ended up using higher than normal desks in our study which has meant that a plug socket now has no clearance above the desk (cut in assuming standard desk height). Initially, the socket was installed upside down but felt it didn't look right (I also read that there can be issues if it's upside down), so we ended up turning it to normal orientation. The issue now is that we can only use certain plugs in the socket which have a lead coming out of the top, side or front but not from the bottom.

Is it worth leaving it as it is or should it be moved up? We have another socket that is only about 4 cm above another desk. Is this ok?

See attached photos for reference.

Cheers,

Will

Attachments

• 387321966_342414195077653_3076887908871553809_n.jpg
    387321966_342414195077653_3076887908871553809_n.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 380069471_715304937125663_1312491133046614229_n.jpg
    380069471_715304937125663_1312491133046614229_n.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 71
Sponsored Links
just a DIYer - I have had in my old house for 20+ years a socket uside down, had no issues - what issues
(I also read that there can be issues if it's upside down),
but i didn't care about the looks more the functionality , so if thats an issue , then may need to move the socket up - how easy that will be depends on how the wire feeds the socket

Is it worth leaving it as it is or should it be moved up?
It's unusable in that position.

Either relocate to a more sensible location which is generally under the desk with a desk grommet for the cables
never use it
or resort to dubious options such as mounting it upside down.

I’ve managed to use it with a phone charger with no issues it’s more if we say plug something in with a thick lead that comes out of the bottom…

Sponsored Links
Forgot to say, there are already two sets of double sockets under the desk, this was put in for say a lamp or phone charger.

There used to be some sockets on the market where the outlet is mounted slightly higher up on the plate to make it possible to plug in leads with moulded plugs without fouling.

IDK if they still are.

Thank you all.

I'm not a fan of it being upside down, so that was an easy change. The less so but more ideal change is to move the socket up, but I'm sure that requires cutting away at the plaster and moving the back box up which is messy and potentially costly. So, is the best solution to use what @Adam_151 linked to? I'll have a look at what @securespark mentioned, that may be the best idea.

I'm not sure why one is lower than the other, the other socket is on the other side of the room above a different desk. The desks appear to be the same height so not sure how this happened.

Our electrician is not to blame here as he just followed the heights given, the problem lies with Howdens who didn't give us the heights of the desk which are about 7 cm higher than standard height. The desks are fitted so cannot be easily changed out/lowered.

Why are they not both the same height?
I have just checked the Sketchup plans and one is higher than the other... I guess this was just a genuine mistake, it's just wondering how we go about fixing this if we really need to?

If it's cabled from above then move it up and make the old hole good, if it's cabled from below I'd probably do the same if there's either enough slack in the cable or you can easily replace the cable with a longer one.

Would it be easier to lower the desk height ?

Or cut away the desktop in front of the socket so it’s usable

As has been said if there is enough slack in the cables if they come from below move it up or you could move it below the desk and spur off it to a new socket above ( but higher.....)
whatever you choose you will have to make a mess one way or another

But 2 of these

and use top socket or move it up wall

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back